Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

general exmark complaint

I have a 21 and a 26 exmark at this time and will be getting a 30 as soon as I feel that they have worked out the tranny issue. I really like both machines. That said, I really have a beef with any company that sells a top of the line machine that intentionally has inferior parts in it. MY 21 I got one and half yrs out of the plastic rear end, thank God a new one was only $85 and two hrs to replace. My 26 has the same drive belt as the 21 and only lasts about three months before it goes bad. Exmark has put several other parts into the design that appear to be there just as wear out parts. I could go on but I just like to know why would they put in cheap parts that they overcharge for. We pay a premium price for these machines and expect premium quality throughout. I am hoping that the exmark or rep is going to read this. Ps.. why Don't they have sections available somewhere on how to replace things such as belts etc:
Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A guy named Vegandude comes out of nowhere and writes his first post about the abhorities of Exmark. Hilariousness to the extreme degree!!!
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 05-25-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

And your going to get a 30?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great job posting your thoughts Vegandude. People on lawnsite like to defend their favorite mower company and get defensive when you criticize said company. But the truth is we're all just a bunch of pawns to the mower industry, using their overpriced equipment because we have no other choice. There's too much overhead in the lawn industry for something that is so simple to do. I'M TRYING TO devise a way to operate my business so I can get away from the extreme overhead. I think one way is by using smaller to medium sized mowers on smaller lawns. Less maintenance and less area to cover. You get more money for a smaller lawn around these parts for the time you spend there. I can get 30 to 35 dollars for a small lawn around here, but it's very tough for me to win a bid of $60 for a lawn that's twice the size of the one I just mowed for $30. See what I'm getting at? Yes we have no choice but to buy this overpriced garbage with failing transmissions and the like, but at the same time, I think we can beat them at their own game by running a leaner more efficient business model. I personally don't want cemetary jobs or huge park-like lawns because if I lose that account that's a huge chunk of my income. If I lose the $35 lawn and still have 50 some more the same size, who cares?
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 05-25-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my favorite posts on the subject of the 30s is from a guy from Canada who bought four of them last yr, and said he would buy four more this yr and keep using that biz model. Everyone criticized his biz idea, but it worked for him and saved him money. He said for what he did he would rather use the $1000 Timemaster than his Walkers and such. Lawnsite shut that one down. I wish they hadn't as it was a very interesting read. I wish he would come back on here and give us an update on his Timemaster game plan. Where are you Instyle? Here is the threadlink: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...imemaster+600:
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually he really likes the machines just not the throw away parts Exmark uses and charges a premium for. Not a bad post at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes but he has a beef with the company because of so many of the throw away parts on a high dollar machine. that's what i was trying to comment on. His beef with the company.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

Old 05-25-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Regaurding that timemaster thread. IMO its a waste of money buying a $1000 home owner machine that lasts one season when you can spend $2000-$3000 on a commercial 32"-36" unit and get 10 years of use.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It was a very intriguing thread. He may have been off on his math. But there were no commercial versions when he purchased the timemasters. Plus the guy didn't say he had to buy new ones each yr. According to him, all 4 of the res units were still operating fine. HE wanted to do it. If he has the money for that more power to him. I think that thread just showed the unique possibilities these 30 inch mowers posed for those of us who mow mostly 1/4 acre lawns. Plus the guy was from Canada. I love to read anything from Canadians and Alaskans. Cool temps are the bomb.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

Old 05-25-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I may be wrong but I thought he said they were just good for parts by the end of the year. I would rather have a 32"-36" hydro walkbehind. They go 2000-3000 hours when taken care of. Plus if you do land a bigger property its possible with a WB.
Posted via Mobile Device