Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2009, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf fertilizer: Liquid or granular?

What is best for spraying at 50 gal. / Acre?

Lesco has a 12-0-0 Chelated iron plus concentrate but recommends to spray it diluted in 150 to 200 gal. per acre.

Has anyone used it in a more concentrated solution (like 60 Gal. / acre)?

What other fert (cheaper) can I use in 50 to 60 gal. / acre dilution?
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...
Old 03-31-2009, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Frog View Post
What is best for spraying at 50 gal. / Acre?

Lesco has a 12-0-0 Chelated iron plus concentrate but recommends to spray it diluted in 150 to 200 gal. per acre.

Has anyone used it in a more concentrated solution (like 60 Gal. / acre)?

What other fert (cheaper) can I use in 50 to 60 gal. / acre dilution?
You won't get much longevity out of the 12-0-0. I wouldn't really even use it as a main source of fert as much as I would a supplement. You can use bagged Urea 46-0-0.(Make sure it is sprayable.) You will clog your tank if it isn't. Be careful spraying it at anything above 80 degrees. I use Uflexx 46-0-0 Stabilized nitrogen. You will find when you begin to price your fert whether it is spreadable or sprayable that none of it is cheap. Being accurate with your measurement of your product and spray/spread technique is what is going to stretch your dollars.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you also have to think in a 12-0-0 you dont have that much nitrogen in the bag compared to a 28-3-8 or what not. So the 21-3-8 may be more exspensive at first site, in the end you are going to have to buy a lot of 12-0-0 fertilizer bags to get the same amount of nitrogen that the 28-3-8 is giving off. It also depends on how much you are trying to put out in terms of nitrogen, usually in spring you want to go light on the fert like .25-.5lb to limit the amount of foliar growth and moreso build the root structure of the plant.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks,
When I asked at the Lesco shop, that was the only fert they had in concentrate form. I should have asked for sprayable fert instead.
I am trying to see if I can spray instead of spreading and how it works out.
The main problem I have with spraying fert is to find a speed/rate ratio which can provide good coverage on turf with a minimum tank refills.
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombo82685 View Post
you also have to think in a 12-0-0 you dont have that much nitrogen in the bag compared to a 28-3-8 or what not. So the 21-3-8 may be more exspensive at first site, in the end you are going to have to buy a lot of 12-0-0 fertilizer bags to get the same amount of nitrogen that the 28-3-8 is giving off. It also depends on how much you are trying to put out in terms of nitrogen, usually in spring you want to go light on the fert like .25-.5lb to limit the amount of foliar growth and moreso build the root structure of the plant.
The advantage I see in the liquid form is that a lot of the fert is absorbed directly by the leaf instead of the root system so it is more effective than fert granules. I have some incline on most of the ground I have to cover as well and I don't want the granules to be washed of as well.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if your just trying to get good plant coverage just put on like a flat fan nozzle that mist it out. You would have to be careful though of drift with flat fans. For your speed problem I would just use normal walking pace. Then set a gal/K rate per the type of sprayer you have.

Last edited by tombo82685; 03-31-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Frog View Post
The advantage I see in the liquid form is that a lot of the fert is absorbed directly by the leaf instead of the root system so it is more effective than fert granules. I have some incline on most of the ground I have to cover as well and I don't want the granules to be washed of as well.
O yea, liquid fert is the best to use. I was just commenting on his first thing you wrote, i wasnt sure if you were talking about granular of liquid fert. Yea liquid fert is the best because of the percent thats covering the plant, the absorption rate is higher, and burn potential is lower.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Both liquid and granular have their advantages.

Granular: Able to apply more, faster with less concern for burning(applied as slow release) Nitrogen release is usually considerably longer depending on product and such. Able to buy as combo product.

Liquid: Generally speaking able to apply less and get great results, faster uptake by plants as generally absorbed directly by leaves. Can do it with awesome tank mixing like pre-m, broadleafs, fert and you can add more.. Drawbacks you can fry a yard like nobodies business. You have to be very comfortable applying 1/2# or more of Nitrogen in liquid form. Yes I generally spray 3 gal a minute with fert + iron.

Matt
Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombo82685 View Post
O yea, liquid fert is the best to use. I was just commenting on his first thing you wrote, i wasnt sure if you were talking about granular of liquid fert. Yea liquid fert is the best because of the percent thats covering the plant, the absorption rate is higher, and burn potential is lower.
It's higher

Last edited by tombo82685; 03-31-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cod8825 View Post
Both liquid and granular have their advantages.

Granular: Able to apply more, faster with less concern for burning(applied as slow release) Nitrogen release is usually considerably longer depending on product and such. Able to buy as combo product.

Liquid: Generally speaking able to apply less and get great results, faster uptake by plants as generally absorbed directly by leaves. Can do it with awesome tank mixing like pre-m, broadleafs, fert and you can add more.. Drawbacks you can fry a yard like nobodies business. You have to be very comfortable applying 1/2# or more of Nitrogen in liquid form. Yes I generally spray 3 gal a minute with fert + iron.

Matt
That is my concern, right there...
With the tips I have on my boom (80° flat), I can spray 1.5 gpm over a 8 ft. span
That is plenty for most chems but limits me greatly for fert application.
I can push the pressure but will get some drift I'd rather prefer to avoid because of the Pre-M mixed with it.
With two passes at 2 mph, I can get the proper amount of fert sprayed but it would be diluted in 2 gal of water instead of the 3 to 5 gal. recommended and I don't want to take a chance burning the grass.
What you think? Will 2 gal of water instead of the 3 to 5 recommended burn the lawn?