Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What would you do?

Hey all, I got a call from one of my customers the other day complaining that one of my guys took out his winter creepers. In the process he was saying your guy (my brother) is a f*****g idiot and wtf is wrong with him etc. so I went over there to have a look and from what i saw, everything was in tact. It was just trimmed back an inch or 2. He's also demanding how I plan on rectifying the matter. I'm thinking that maybe, since he's a weekly account and its the end of the month and payment is now due that he's possibly looking for a freebie or something? And also, should any offense be taken from his rant? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No one should talk to you that way. Unless he's a million dollar contract I'd tell him take a hike and maybe have your brother kick his ass first.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Whats your reputation, ? How long have you been in business ? If you been in business awhile you must know It's cheaper to keep.customers.than it is to replace them, haveing been in business over 30 years I've learned its better to buy this guy a few winter creepers and plant them with an apology rather than haveing a guy that probibly knows a hundred people around town spew negative feed back and bull s. About you you know what to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Replace the plants, apologize, make it back from him later on something else.....if it happens again start looking for a replacement for him, raise his rate in hopes he gets someone else...
Old 05-27-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Life can be annoying enough without customers like him. I'd tell him he needs to find somebody else to do his property. I would continue to do it until he finds a replacement. I have been yelled at and kept the customer, but in those cases they had a valid gripe.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Whats your reputation, ? How long have you been in business ? If you been in business awhile you must know It's cheaper to keep.customers.than it is to replace them, haveing been in business over 30 years I've learned its better to buy this guy a few winter creepers and plant them with an apology rather than haveing a guy that probibly knows a hundred people around town spew negative feed back and bull s. About you you know what to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well said,
Momentarily it would feel good to let this guy have it. But think of whether or not your decision will be one that will propel your business forward or backward. Trust me, I think we have all been in the same position. Time to eat some s$?t pie and make this guy happy.
Good luck this season to all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
My reputation is pretty good. I'm all for attempting to rectify the matter and to keep him as a customer. I think that would be the professional way to handle it, however, I also don't feel the name calling etc was called for. I'm not too keen on letting people walk all over me like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderhoff Landscaping View Post
My reputation is pretty good. I'm all for attempting to rectify the matter and to keep him as a customer. I think that would be the professional way to handle it, however, I also don't feel the name calling etc was called for. I'm not too keen on letting people walk all over me like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes the negativity and the name calling take control never let it go their, in a split second remember why your their, to solve a problem. The first hint of the conversation going negative you immediately take control of it by interrupting the negative. with a positive. Look I can see your upset this is what I can do. or I can see why your upset this is what I am going to do. (insert what you will do) by doing this you defuse the situation immediately, handled correctly and quickly with skill the customer more often than not will change his attitude. and spread good will about you. go above and beyond remember this customer is not your entire business. but the way you deal with these issues and their will be issues... is your future success.