Register free!

Old 05-27-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pondless and Tree Roots

Here is the idea

-Customer works from home
-Has trees (Maples I believe, went out there early SP) that are causing grass to not grow
-Place from where she works looks directly at this area where grass is not growing
-Wants something that is pleasant to look at during the day while she works

My initial idea was some sort of woodland planting along the whole back due to the intense shade it would receive. the front and back of the trees receive about 1/2 sun and minimal sun in the middle ground. The existing crab apple will be removed, it was planted way to close to the maple and spruce and is being taken over. so this area will receive the most sun.

As we were talking, she said she would entertain the idea of some sort of water feature. Im thinking a pondless would work perfect here as something great to look at during the day and wont need a whole bunch of sun like a normal pond. On top of that there is already about 4-5' of drop. The only problem is the existing maple tree and its roots.

Im wondering how you guys think a pondless would work in this situation. Im thinking a small boulder wall with the pondless going through the middle of it, ending on the near the flats of the yard. Im thinking the spruces wont be much of a problem as the as pretty mature and any more width on them will require one to be taken out (the 2 are already growing into each other.

How would you tackle this? The pondless were sit just outside the canopy of the maple so Im thinking minimal root damage would be done. I was also entertaining the thought of double lining it (in addition to the normal barrier) or possibly creating some sort of 1'deep root barrier between the pondless and maple.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't worry to much about the roots of the trees unless you are placing it directing next or under it. If you place it in the middle your fine as for double lining it well I think its an unnecessary expense. You will already have a 60 mil geotex fabric plus your liner. You don't wanna price yourself out of a job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input raggs, as for the liner, we'll be piecing together an aquascape pondless ( yes i know aquascape, weve used in the past and have had no complaints, only other brand is savio around here and have no experience with them) i believe they use 45 mil epdm and underliner
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Assuming that you are going to locate the reservoir in the open area shown at the bottom of the photos, I will agree with Raggs. Given the natural grade that you have to work with, a little imagination should result in a quite attractive feature.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it kinda hit me like a bat out of hell, why not a pondless?

Im estimating 2 guys 3 days for construction of the waterfall, boulders and gravel, after reading through some threads this is looking like a bit much. Ive built 2 ponds in the past but didnt record the hours would it be feasible to get that done in 2 day instead of 3? Also we will have a skid onsite and possibly a Mini ex, location is in the backyard, maybe 160' away from road

Also the idea is a single spillway, diverting into 2 different waterfall paths, converging at the bottom flowing into a small stream ~10ft long with a few mini falls into the resevoir at the bottom of the hill. I was thinking a 2000-4000- pump may be a bit underpowered, possibly a 4000-8000 pump?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

What's the total length and width of the pondless. As for the amount of time it all depends on your skill level and your guys. Minimum pump would be around 5000 and you go from there. It all depends in how wide your splits are and how much flow you want. Also too anything over 5000 you need 3 inch line. If you don't want 3 inch I would suggest 2 pump canyons that way you can run 2 pumps on 2 -2 inch lines and that way you add a pump if need be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would set aside 3 days for installation of this project for a couple of reasons. First, 2 previously constructed ponds does not give you a lot of experience to fall back on (This is not a criticism as we have all been there.), so you should take your time to insure correctness. Secondly, the site lends itself to the construction of a potentially very interesting water feature, so extra time will be needed to get the aesthetics the way that you want them.
You will definitely need sufficient flow to achieve the effect that you want. Depending on total stream width (you mentioned possibly 2 streams), a flow rate of 10,000+ gph may be needed.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Alright thanks for the thoughts. The total length of the feature is roughly 20'. Maximum width would be roughly 6' (basically max will be @ the split, one larger fall and one smaller.) My idea is a 4' decent fall with a 2' smaller stream/fall along the left of it, like 1-2' on the side of the main fall. Moreso a meandering stream/ few smaller falls meeting up at the bottom.

As with you guys, this site has MUCH potential and I'd like to nail it.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also the budget is roughly 4k (5k ish but some other things also need to be done)

Im thinking my ideas may be a little ambitious for that budget, may have to scale it down a bit
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

That budget is a little small to the job right that you are suggesting you want done and taking full advantage of the site. Around here I would be around 5000 7500.. however you can always chalk it up to learning and set your own price to the job that you want to tackle. In my early yrs I sometimes did that materials paid with a little labor to cover your cost. In the end if you wanna tackle more water features you have to start learning somewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device