Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone familiar with Ferris?

Ive been planning on purchasing a commercial grade ZTR to replace my compact tractor. I'm leaning towards the ferris 700/1500 or 2000. The suspension is what sold me, as the 1.5 acre property has seen 30 New England winters since it was last graded, and was never really fine graded to begin with. I test drove a 2011 IS2000, and it was the smoothest running zturn i ever tested. I'm considering between buying a 61" big block vanguard IS700 or spending an extra $1000 for the 52" Kawasaki IS2000. My question is how does the ride compare between the 2000 and the 700/1500? I know the suspension is different between the two, but is the extra grand worth it in this application? Can I get 15-20 years out of the 700/1500?
Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

About that Ferris

I may not be much help with your particular model but I looked at a 2000 and then decided on a 3100 with the 36 hp Vanguard Big Block after a demo. But I have a little over 5 acres so needed the bigger machine. I did a lot of research here and elsewhere and believe the Ferris is as good or better than most due to the suspension and track record. I got the optional air suspension seat even though the 3100 has the full suspension. For what you would spend it seems like any optional seat should be included but nonetheless worth whatever they ask as you will be on the mower a lot over the years and a few hundred more buck will seem well spent after awhile. Good luck on your decision.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you would be better going for the 3100z. It is a bigger unit and will handle the rough terrain better. It is a true 4 wheel independence suspension. I think the smaller units have a pivoting front Axel and the ride would not be as nice. Spend a little extra and have a machine that will last forever. The 3100 will be the machine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its 1.5 acres! A 3100 is overkill! Why spend that much on such a large machine you'd only put what, 30hrs a year on, if that! For 5 acres yeah, sure maybe even 3 acres but not 1.5 . Sheesh!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes let me take that back a 3100 would probably be overkill for 1.5 acres. I didn't realize it was that size property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, whatever- if you've got the budget then buy what you want . I guarantee you'll enjoy it, and it'll last forever haha
Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul's Green Thumb View Post
Hey, whatever- if you've got the budget then buy what you want . I guarantee you'll enjoy it, and it'll last forever haha
Funny, as I clicked "post" thats exactly what I thought! If your rich, hate cutting grass then get a WAM and be done in 5mins. Take longer to warm up than to mow!

But then I thought, for the few $1000 saved in sized machines, could level out and have a nice yard and mow with what ever
Old 05-27-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just my opinion, replacing a compact tractor with a dictated mower would be a bad choice, real bad. Keep the tractor and buy a toro timecutter
Old 05-27-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

The is2000z has 4 wheel independent suspension. It would be perfect for 5 acres. I just traded my 2000 in on a new 3100 but I have around 15 acres to mow. I put 95 hrs on the 2000 last year and it was 95 wfo 10mph mowing hrs it didn't break a sweat. Its a great machine the only reason I traded is a deal came up I couldn't refuse. But I have a 72" 36hp big block now.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. There are a few reasons why I'm going this route; My father and I bought the tractor for my family's home in 08. The purpose of the machine was to remove snow, mow the grass, and do some landscaping work around the home. He and I were the only two members of my family who could operate it. Unfortunately he passed last year and, since I don't live at home anymore, the only time the machine gets used is when I cut the lawn once a week from spring to fall.

Because the machine is 14' long from the loader to the reader-mount 60" deck and weighed 2200lbs (not including the 537lb mowing deck) I couldn't mow unless the ground was dry. So I figured I could sell the machine (+implements and 5000lbs trailer) and buy something more specialized to mowing that could be more easily operated by other family members than an 8speed tractor and still allow my mother and I to pocket some extra cash. So that's the reasoning behind this decision if anyone was curious