Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about your father. Sounds like a great plan. If you plan on keeping looooong term, the 2000 with the best motor you can get is your best bet. I think for long term, the full commercial engines made to pull 2-3000 hours would suit you.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i am very familiar with Ferris, i have several threads on my recent 3100Z purchase. For the poster who said the IS2000Z has independent suspension you are certainly wrong. The 3100 & 5100 on the only 2 machines which has independent suspension. The 2000, front is independent and the rear is setup with a bracket from the frame to wheel motor (very different from the 3100Z). Having said i feel the 2000 is the best all around VERSATILE Z on the market. WHY, weight, ride & cut. It has the best of them all.

Now if you don't mind a little extra weight, the 3100Z imo is the best Z on the market. WHY, because ride, cut, and its ability to out perform is heavy duty conditions. Although it can easily perform well on medium size properties. Half acre up.

I love Ferris. To me, they are the solution to commercial midmount mower cutting. The ICD deck does really well in heavy thick grass, wet grass, dry grass, stripes amazing.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchkrama View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. There are a few reasons why I'm going this route; My father and I bought the tractor for my family's home in 08. The purpose of the machine was to remove snow, mow the grass, and do some landscaping work around the home. He and I were the only two members of my family who could operate it. Unfortunately he passed last year and, since I don't live at home anymore, the only time the machine gets used is when I cut the lawn once a week from spring to fall.

Because the machine is 14' long from the loader to the reader-mount 60" deck and weighed 2200lbs (not including the 537lb mowing deck) I couldn't mow unless the ground was dry. So I figured I could sell the machine (+implements and 5000lbs trailer) and buy something more specialized to mowing that could be more easily operated by other family members than an 8speed tractor and still allow my mother and I to pocket some extra cash. So that's the reasoning behind this decision if anyone was curious
I lost my dad not that long ago as well, so I feel for you there. Something to remember though, not just anyone can jump on a Z and start out mowing (you mentioned others in your family jumping on and going), at least not in any safe of proper fashion. They have a learning curve that needs to be accounted for and considered.

I say if you can afford a 3100, go for it regardless of lot size. A nice machine to run is a thing of beauty and joy. The smaller two will still serve you well though, if that's the route you choose to go. Good luck to you whatver you choose and again, sorry for you loss.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
I may not be much help with your particular model but I looked at a 2000 and then decided on a 3100 with the 36 hp Vanguard Big Block after a demo. But I have a little over 5 acres so needed the bigger machine. I did a lot of research here and elsewhere and believe the Ferris is as good or better than most due to the suspension and track record. I got the optional air suspension seat even though the 3100 has the full suspension. For what you would spend it seems like any optional seat should be included but nonetheless worth whatever they ask as you will be on the mower a lot over the years and a few hundred more buck will seem well spent after awhile. Good luck on your decision.
Hey, do you mean mechanical or does Ferris offer an air susp seat for you guys over there?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Its 1.5 acres! A 3100 is overkill! Why spend that much on such a large machine you'd only put what, 30hrs a year on, if that! For 5 acres yeah, sure maybe even 3 acres but not 1.5 . Sheesh!
I tend to agree with this, 1.5 acres is quite small for such a high priced ZTR. However Id love to own one even if I had only 1.5 acres but could afford to outlay that much even tho its so small!

I look forward to hearing what you decide & what you think if you do purchase a Ferris!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
i am very familiar with Ferris, i have several threads on my recent 3100Z purchase. For the poster who said the IS2000Z has independent suspension you are certainly wrong. The 3100 & 5100 on the only 2 machines which has independent suspension. The 2000, front is independent and the rear is setup with a bracket from the frame to wheel motor (very different from the 3100Z). Having said i feel the 2000 is the best all around VERSATILE Z on the market. WHY, weight, ride & cut. It has the best of them all.

Now if you don't mind a little extra weight, the 3100Z imo is the best Z on the market. WHY, because ride, cut, and its ability to out perform is heavy duty conditions. Although it can easily perform well on medium size properties. Half acre up.

I love Ferris. To me, they are the solution to commercial midmount mower cutting. The ICD deck does really well in heavy thick grass, wet grass, dry grass, stripes amazing.

The rear on the 2000 is independent! Its a swing arm type instead of A-arm like 3100/5100. Granted it doesn't ride as good as 3100 but we are only talking about 5 acres and $4k more.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

ferris air suspension seat

Greenology - yes, the optional seat on the 3100 is the air suspension seat. Has lumbar and seat back adjustment and the knob on the front can be set to your individual weight. Combined with the Ferris suspension this is a great set up.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you sure its an air seat? My air seat has no knob. Just a button to activate the air pump and let out air.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

The reasons why I want a machine of this caliber is as follows: speed, ride, and longevity. Like I said, I come to cut the grass when i get the opportunity, so speed is a definite. Because i plan on running this thing for 20 years, i want it to be as comfortable and reliable as i can afford.

I was given a cash offer of $7700 on a new 2000 w/ 52" deck and 26hp kawasaki. Everyone else was offering 8500-8900 cash, so i think i found a good deal. Any thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

If you have any trimming around trees ect... The 61" makes it nice because the deck hangs out on the left side and you can get closer than the 52" which is almost even with the tires.