Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchkrama View Post
I'll try and get some pics and vids for you guys who are interested. It's the least I can do for your advice and feedback!
Please dont get too excited operating the new mower & forget about us Cheers
Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Amen, I want pics and vids if possible! I am eyeballing a is600z and just saving up for it right now!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, pics n vids!!! Its the least you can do! ha
Congrats on the new machine! Good choice!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry for the delay, I havent forgotten about you. So heres a series of pics of the machine, and a before and after of the yard after having gone 2 weeks since its last cut with lots of spring rain since. The yard was given a double cut once @ 4.5" and then perpendicular @ 3.75". I ended up changing to 4" for the rest of the yard (not pictured) as I thought it looked close to scorching. And please forgive my lines, i'm still learning this thing. I will say its the most fun learning experience ever!

Last edited by Mitchkrama; 05-31-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow, nice machine! I am jealous!!!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Appreciate you taking the time for pics!

Do you happen to have any undulated or particularly un-even grounds to test the movement of the deck out? Youd need to be cutting relatively low though so not sure if this is something you can do. Im very curious to know how the deck movement goes over this type ground, hoping it doesn't scalp or cut low on one side etc.

If you had some rough terrain also then it would be fantastic to see a video of you riding over the rough stuff, rougher the better!

I appreciate vids etc take time, so no worries if too busy. Cheers & congrats on the new mower, enjoy!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Also when you have some spare time you may want to check your deck leveling and height. The 2 mowers I bought was
Not even in the ballpark. My dealer just washed it and took my cash. The Ferris icd decks seems to cut and stripe best when
Perfectly level side to side and front to back contrary to other mover brands that needs to be pitched some front to back.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

1st oil change on Ferris 3100

I did my first oil change at 6.5 hours. Was a bear getting off the factory installed oil filter. What a great machine so far though. Went to the recommended 5w30 synthetic Mobil 1. Running 89 octane for fuel. No fuel additives at present time as I turn over the fuel every week or two. Does anyone think I should run 93 octane or use a fuel additive under present conditions? Most folks here seem to run 89 or 93 octane but not sure the 93 is any better. The dealer had recently acquired some Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment and said if I sent in the coupon the first bottle would basically be free. Not sure whether to begin using this or not?
Old 06-01-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most of us here run 87 octane in our Z's, but run the 89-93 octane in our handhelds as per the manu's suggestion for them.
Star Tron is good stuff, and can make an old or neglected engine run a lot better, but it really isn't necessary for a new engine. I'm as fussy about my equipment as anyone on this site, but I just don't add stuff that isn't needed. Now, if you get some fuel and it turns out to have a little water in it somehow, or is very stale, Sea Foam and Star Tron can both help it burn on through and clean up your engine at the same time.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Green - kinda my philosophy I think. Most newer engines are now designed to accommodate the 10% ethanol. May need to run some Sea Foam or Star Tron through my hedger, blower and trimmer as they are older but have had Sta-bil in their fuel.

When I went to get a new gas cap for my 6 yr old Stihl BR600 blower they told me the old ones were not designed for E-10 and gaskets or plastic failed. Otherwise it still runs good.