Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
Thanks Green - kinda my philosophy I think. Most newer engines are now designed to accommodate the 10% ethanol. May need to run some Sea Foam or Star Tron through my hedger, blower and trimmer as they are older but have had Sta-bil in their fuel.

When I went to get a new gas cap for my 6 yr old Stihl BR600 blower they told me the old ones were not designed for E-10 and gaskets or plastic failed. Otherwise it still runs good.
Yep, the earlier caps kept failing due to the ethanol warping them and making them leak. My 2010 600 had an earlier version cap and it was a PITA to get back on correctly. The dealer swapped it out for free as per the notice from Stihl, and the new one worked fine. My FS90 has the newer style flip top cap, and it works great as well. I like the last version they came out with better than all their other caps, but too many people had complained and they went back to screw on caps, though they make several versions of it now.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Briggs/Stratton new fuel additive

Regarding my new Ferris 3100Z I have been researching various fuel additives and think will go with the newly developed B&S additive.http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/...fuel-treatment

Have used Stabil, SeaFoam, considered StarTron, etc. but seems the B&S additive may be a result of the latest research. I do turn my fuel over about once a month but live in a high humidity area. Sent a letter to B&S since they list this additive part number in their user manual asking whether this is a once in a while thing or regular use. They said they recommended for ongoing use in the fuel, 10% ethanol that is. So I plan to use 89 octane and the B&S stabilizer. Besides I have a B&S Vanguard 36hp Big Block.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/...fuel-treatment
Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I almost gaurantee you that it is made by Sta-Bil for them. Sta-Bil has had the same product out for a couple years now. You can buy it at Lowe's & HD as well as mosy outdoor power places. Betting it costs less than B&S branded product too.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

The B&S appears to be a different formulation as it specifies qualities the latest Stabil doesn't but maybe they do make it for them. All of these things are similar I know but will have to price the B&S per gl to see what it costs. Figure if they make it and approve for their engines it is probably specific to what they think is best.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure the B&S stuff is also good. They market it as being best for their engines, but then again, they want to sell it right?

It's the same thing with engine oils for both 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. Each company says theirs is best and that they can offer a better warranty if you use their oil in their product. That's mainly to make sure someone isn't using el-cheapo crap oil from who-knows-where in their product, then wanting warranty work done when the cheap product fails. That's understandable, but any name brand product does pretty much the exact same thing. Sta-Bil is a brand that has been around with proven results for a long time now. Besides, if you turn your fuel over every month or so as you said, you should never have a problem.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree but you know how anal new equipment owners can be. You are right about just sticking with the name brand lubes and fuels. My concern is the longer term affects of the 10% ethanol when I'm not sure how long it has been formulated and put in the gas station tanks, their own additives, etc. I try to stick with name brand stations. I can find non-ethanol stations near me but then it only comes in 87 octane vs. the 89 and 93 that is available with 10% so believe I want 89 or higher even with the 10%.

I know we want clean air but the EPA is populated with a lot of regulators and "progressives" behind desks who have never done a days physical work and never been across America to see what the practical needs of Americans really are. I'll stop there - thanks for the comments.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
I agree but you know how anal new equipment owners can be. You are right about just sticking with the name brand lubes and fuels. My concern is the longer term affects of the 10% ethanol when I'm not sure how long it has been formulated and put in the gas station tanks, their own additives, etc. I try to stick with name brand stations. I can find non-ethanol stations near me but then it only comes in 87 octane vs. the 89 and 93 that is available with 10% so believe I want 89 or higher even with the 10%.

I know we want clean air but the EPA is populated with a lot of regulators and "progressives" behind desks who have never done a days physical work and never been across America to see what the practical needs of Americans really are. I'll stop there - thanks for the comments.
I couldn't agree more.