Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scag Muffler Kohler cv20s

What is p/n for a Kohler muffler CV20s spec 65597? I am looking to beat a price of $180. I have a leak in the head gasket and I noticed that the muffler has slight cracks in a circle on opposite end to exhaust. Is there any risk to replacing the gasket and just running this muffler until it blows hole in the outer shell?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You might try to seal the cracks with silicone. The RTV type will withstand a temperature of around 400 degrees.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I welded a couple cracks in my muffler last year, so far so good.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am afraid the crack that I see on the outside only indicates that something on the inside may be loose. Probably would have to cut off the end cap to see what is going on inside. Is there any chance that something can get loose inside the muffer and get back into the engine?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Is there any chance that something can get loose inside the muffer and get back into the engine?
Yes....shake the muffler...if it sounds like a rattle...that's bad...
Twin cylinders can and do ingest metal pieces from the muffler via the exhaust valve..
I've got some pictures somewhere of a piece of broken valve guide from cyl #1 stuck between the #2 exhaust valve and the valve seat...cross contamination through the muffler happens..
See if you can shake any rattlers out of the muffler...sometimes. inserting a magnet into the pipes while shaking it helps..
Then...just weld it up...never use any jb weld or similar product on mufflers...it won't take the heat...and you'll smell it for weeks..
Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Yes....shake the muffler...if it sounds like a rattle...that's bad...
Twin cylinders can and do ingest metal pieces from the muffler via the exhaust valve..
I've got some pictures somewhere of a piece of broken valve guide from cyl #1 stuck between the #2 exhaust valve and the valve seat...cross contamination through the muffler happens..
See if you can shake any rattlers out of the muffler...sometimes. inserting a magnet into the pipes while shaking it helps..
Then...just weld it up...never use any jb weld or similar product on mufflers...it won't take the heat...and you'll smell it for weeks..
I will get it into the shop and get the stuff off. I dread this tear down since I got propane kit on it and that makes it complicated. Any idea on P/N for the muffler used on application ...it isn't on most webb site that sell parts.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi ed, the engine on my burned mower was a Kohler cv20s. I had replaced the muffler about a year or so before the fire. That muffler is on ebay at the moment. Link is below. I believe it contains some info that may be useful to you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221229658640...84.m1555.l2649
Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm123a View Post
Hi ed, the engine on my burned mower was a Kohler cv20s. I had replaced the muffler about a year or so before the fire. That muffler is on ebay at the moment. Link is below. I believe it contains some info that may be useful to you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221229658640...84.m1555.l2649
This lawnsite is something else........so is your muffler sold? And thanks for the part numbers and price information. My unit has 2800hrs and is a back up so I am trying to minimize repair cost. I need to get the muffler off so I can rattle it
Old 05-27-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually those mufflers are quite durable. The reason I had to replace mine was because the engine mounting bolts had worked themselves loose. A lot of people where I live have horses. I mow an area that is frequented by horse back riders. It tends to make things pretty bumpy and that is what caused the bolts to loosen (I since learned to put loctite on them, but that is another story). Anyway, the muffler is connected to the engine AND the frame of the mower. When the engine mounting bolts got loose enough it puts lots of stress on the muffler and it cracked where the pipes come into the body of the muffler. This is what actually clued me in to the lose mounting bolts. Anyway, that is the story of why I had to replace the muffler to begin with. The muffler is still on ebay. If you are interested, let me know and I will end the auction. I consider you a friend (or at least a kindred spirit) :-) Make a reasonable offer and it is yours. My opening bid is $112 so that beats your $180 :-)
Old 05-27-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually it occurred to me that I might get a bid so I just ended the listing. Let me know if you are interested. No pressure for you to buy it. Entirely up to you. I can easily re-list.