LawnSite Bronze Member

so, hey.. you hiring?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haha yelp. Now hiring!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To answer your question, you have to know what your alternatives are if he left. What would you have to pay someone to replace him, to do the same amount of work. Simple math. However, you say he demanded to be paid more. If had an attitude of give me a raise or else, he would be out the door. If he asked in a professional mannar, that would be different. Basically, he is asking for a 25% raise which is steep. Maybe a few percent now, and a few more percent when he gets a license
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think he is trying to go out on his own, because he has been buying equipment and telling me about it,stupid. But yeah, I think he was very demanding and not professional about it. We are in the south so 750 a week decided by 40hours equals 18.75 an hour and he only weedeats, edges, and blows. Thats alot for the south because the cost if living is cheaper down bere than up north. i feel he is worth 12 an hour like i was paying him. He just isn't worth that to me considering he could never be a foreman and drive the truck or speak with customers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
He is a hard worker, trustworthy some what, honest some what. Reliable, some what. He is one of those guys that are good at what they do but you can't really ever use him to drive a truck, talk to customers, move up in the company.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think your on the right track, get rid of him. Good help is hard to find, but not that hard.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Give him the Boot!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did!! I understand an employee coming to the boss and having a professional conversation about a possible raise. This guy basically said he wants this amount or he's leaving.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did!! I understand an employee coming to the boss and having a professional conversation about a possible raise. This guy basically said he wants this amount or he's leaving. The price named comes out to double what he was making. Here in the south, regular labor workers that don't run mowers or drive usually make 8-10 an hour. I was paying him 12. A foreman, that can operate the mowers and drive and speak with customers is worth 14 an hour. All he did was run the weedeater, edger, blower, and backpack sprayer. We only do maintenance so it's not like he had it hard installing heavy sod or rock walls all day. I took it as a slap in my face, like he thought I was stupid enough to fall for it or he thinks that I can't survive without him? Maybe he thinks that he invited himself to be my business partner without me knowing or something? That like an employee saying he wants half of the profits or he's leaving...I said "don't let the door hit you on the way out sucker"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
I did!! I understand an employee coming to the boss and having a professional conversation about a possible raise. This guy basically said he wants this amount or he's leaving.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah don't have time for that. $12 is as high as you go without keys to the truck and authority to make decisions.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is this truely your best worker as the title states? One who can not drive or run a mower? I do understand a good detail trim guy is harder to find but they are out there. At $12/hr I think he is close to max pay for what his job details.

I would give goals to meet certain raises. A DL for starters, crew lead, customer relations, estimates, etc. Put the ball back into his court. You want that, then I need you to do this.
Posted via Mobile Device