Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. Well I already let him go. I didn't appreciate they way he demanded double the pay from me. Also since he will never be able to move up due to no license, I figured he wasn't worth more than 12 an hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Finger View Post
You are in a hard position. Your best man is flipping out. He knows you need him and thats why he is doing that. This happended to me.

Call his bluff. Keep all your personal information away from him. Don't allow him access to how much you charge your clients.

Little tips.
1. never hire friends of employees
2. never negotiate with a terrorist, the minute you give in they will keep doing it. over and over
3. Hire people who don't know each other
4. Certain ethnic groups are great workers but their ultimate goal is to take over your stuff. (they are the worst lowballers in life)
5. Never let anyone have access to your clientl list. (Limit who talks to your customers) Dont' allow them to establish relationships
6. have other guys ready to step up.

Protect your business
Well said.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
$700 wk for 35 hrs comes to $20 hr.

Question comes down to can you get someone to make you the same money as him.

If this guy produces $2,100 wk billable hrs, costs you $700 he made you $1,400.

If a replacement guy A prod. $1,800 B. hrs, costs you $400 he made you $1,400.

Math alone says it does not matter whether you keep him or replace him.

Now replacement guy B prod. $1,200 B. hrs, costs you $350 he made you $850.

Math now is saying you saved $350 salary you also "saved"/reduced your billable work $900 a week.

You get what you pay for. Thing is to not over pay. A decision has to be made. This is why you get paid the big bucks at your Co.

Can you get someone that will not negatively effect your bottom line? It is just not how much you pay someone it is how much he brings into the business.

If you can then tell him adios, ciao, good bye.

When Babe Ruth got a salary of $80,000, double of the next highest baseball player (fig's from memory) he was asked how does he feel making more money then the President.

Babe said, I had a better year then the President.
This has virtually nothing to do with basic math.

It has everything to do with who is running the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Finger View Post
You are in a hard position. Your best man is flipping out. He knows you need him and thats why he is doing that. This happended to me.
Never let employees dictate pay or other demands. You can work with them and should, but if they give an ultimatum, they're out the door.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
The fact of the matter is this guy is nothing but a laborer. Most people pay $9 an hour for general labor. $20 an hour you're talking crew leaders or division managers. This guy will never be on that level due to no license
Posted via Mobile Device
You missed the whole point. It was not about what the OP should do but insight on to make decisions.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
This has virtually nothing to do with basic math.

I do not have a horse in this race. Does not matter whether the OP pays him more or shows him the door.

The best decisions are based on the bottom line. It has everything to do with math. Math applied to Dough Ray Me.

It is not about egos, who's the boss.

It is about the best decision.

No one would question the money paid to Jeter or Rivera. Great business moves.

A Rod. Mr Choke. Mr Never Clutch even in the regular season. Mr May II.

Talent over rated, and a salary that makes him way over paid.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I hear a business person say "It's the principle of the matter" I always tell myself that in business it's always about "How cheap can I get out of this". Basic Math is a really useful tool for this approach. Keep pushing that mower telling yourself Math doesn't matter, I will take my Math and all my new $hit over principal or anything else anyday.

At home, it's all about principle. That's what makes us who we are as people. I get that.

If you can't put $ and business first go work for someone who does, it will be much more stable for you there.

It is always about $$ and simple math. More $ is good, less is bad. I got a spindle seal out on big girl so I got to go deal with that now. I hate sucking up fishline on this new Toro. Half the time it's ok, sometimes all the grease flings out.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Sponsor

Based on the OP replies to various questions his employee or ex employee, I hope ? seems to have his boss trained well enough to do anything he wanted. No one who has ever worked for me ever demanded a raise from me, I would have shown them the door long before that could ever taken place. I hope this person is no longer employed by the OP. Remember as an owner operator of a LCC, your in charge of every thing, especially your employees.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have his boss trained well enough to do anything he wanted? I'm the op, and I beg to differ. This guy was a good employee but he was limited within the company due to no license. He has been let go. He never showed any signs other than for a couple of weeks was talking about buying equipment. I assume he thought he would test me and see if I would pay him alot more and if not he was going out on his own. I don't care if he goes out on his own, because he will have a rude awakening when he gets pulled over or sees that people don't hire people that don't speak good English. I doubt he would even be able to get a license or insurance but people like him are fly by night and don't bother. Good thing is he never spoke to any if the customers so I doubt he could take any accounts but who knows.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you. I'm glad to hear you made up your mind and took action. He can get liability for his business because agents will take the money. I doubt he can get a commercial auto policy(but he might!) That will prevent him from competing on any real work. I had to show my license here in IA to get my commercial auto policy going, but you can insure a car here without having a license. It will protect the vehicle in case it gets damage while you let it sit. I'm glad I took that step(and a few others) and the new work is more than paying for it. If he can't get his act together enough to drive no one reasonable will hire him, good call. He'll be back begging, cut his pay.