Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bridge Lawn for Shade

Since the Late Spring finally arrived we have been doing very well with preciptation... The quick greenup and rapid growth had nothing to do with early fertilizing while the grass was still dormant, becuz it didn't happen...

Just last week before/after the 2nd mowing I put down Milorganite(.5 N rate) as the Spring booster for the Summer... On an identical property I put down the standard .5 lbs of synfert around the same time... Neither has real irrigation, only hoses...

Because of last Summer's drought there is a larger than normal amount of dead grass and miscellaneous debris down in the turf on the Milorganite property so may want to add Molasses after the next mowing...

If the Milorganite turf fades by the end of Summer, moreso than the synfert, then I will add synfert winterizer as soon as the heat of Summer is over...
I'm wondering if there is a way to boost lasting color through the Summer season w/out another fert app...
Old 06-02-2013, 03:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Growth has slowed significantly since the first mowing, on all lawns, even as the rains continue and the fertilizers(organic and synthetic alike) are down now... it does take a couple of weeks sometimes for the ferts to actually begin feeding the plants so we'll see what happens after the 3rd mowing...
(This is a much different schedule, with different results, than the schedule of applying N and Pre-m before the first mowing happens)

Nevertheless, I'll keep an eye on what the molasses does for the 'cycling of nutrients' throughout the Summer and whether or not it maintains a healthier growth pattern and color,,, when compared to those that constantly apply N during the heat of Summer...
The next concern is: "Is it too much for the shade"??? Shade lawns tend to deteriorate when too much NPK and H2O are applied... I'd hate to start losing it now...
Old 06-02-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Assuming your talking .5 lbs n and not product, you have two very different animals. (Not knowing your area conditions) I would think that for average seasons and all things being equal, that .5 syn is a little heavy and .5 milorganite is possibly too light. The syn is going to release no matter what while the milorg wont for the most part without some degree of natural rainfall. I use a bridge product that is 1/3 syn (amonical and scu) 1/3 bio and 1/3 poultry to avoid the comparison you are making. I think your posing the question more than asking, but you can use iron to fake it, humates to utilize what already there, or Ca and Mg depending on the chemistry.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it is .5 pounds of actual N/k on both the ferts as labelled... the fact that Milo releases according to moisture/temp and the microbial activity moreso than synferts,,, is a natural plus for the Summer Heat... I don't really want a fert that is breaking down no matter what,,, when there is a drought going on and the grass is going dormant...

But my concern is now with the possibility that we have a manageable Summer season in which the grass doesn't have to go dormant... What to do when the N is gone? or will it be gone in the shade?? Add .25 lbs of N in July/early Aug.???
I might be overthinking this...
Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I was wondering the same. My father says not to put down n in the heat of summer up here.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We've continued to have so much rain here that I'm wondering how much N has leached away, especially in some of our sandy soils... our forecast now puts us close to the 90s by next weekend w/out much rain, if any... I guess something like Milorganite wouldn't hurt anything if it did get hot, but I'll wait and see how quickly the grass dries out first...
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

You use that milorganite? I was told that has been known to cause Lou gerrichs disease (sp?)
Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nonsense..

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Member

series of Milwaukee Journal articles from January and February, 1987 focused on the connection between three San Francisco 49ers playing on fields spread with Milorganite sludge fertilizer who contracted Lou Gehrig's disease and two MMSD milorganite plant employees who died of the disease. By February 10, 1987, 39 ALS patients had been found who had some exposure to milorganite. According to the articles, as many as 115 PEOPLE had died from ALS in the past eight years, the ALS death rate for Milwaukee County was 1.6 %, one percent higher than the state average. Two out of the 155 documented MMSD employee deaths were caused by ALS, Whereas, the normal rate is about 2 in 100,000. According to the son of one of the ALS victims, "The son said that the father knew of "four or five" ALS cases at the plant over the last 25 to 30 years."

* According to the Milwaukee Journal article titled "EPA LAUNCHES MILORGANITE PROBE, dated February 12, 1987, the EPA planned a scientific investigation into a possible link between Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS) and the cadmium, chromium or other substances in MMSD's Milorganite fertilizer. , In the article Rubin "conceded that there were not many studies about the possible health hazards of sludge and sludge products." So where is the science that proves sludge is safe? http://journals.aol.com/nsa1025/Nati...s/entries/1028

"The Pennocks' son Daniel contracted a rotavirus and staph infection in March
Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6rs97 View Post
series of Milwaukee Journal articles from January and February, 1987 focused on the connection between three San Francisco 49ers playing on fields spread with Milorganite sludge fertilizer who contracted Lou Gehrig's disease and two MMSD milorganite plant employees who died of the disease. By February 10, 1987, 39 ALS patients had been found who had some exposure to milorganite. According to the articles, as many as 115 PEOPLE had died from ALS in the past eight years, the ALS death rate for Milwaukee County was 1.6 %, one percent higher than the state average. Two out of the 155 documented MMSD employee deaths were caused by ALS, Whereas, the normal rate is about 2 in 100,000. According to the son of one of the ALS victims, "The son said that the father knew of "four or five" ALS cases at the plant over the last 25 to 30 years."

* According to the Milwaukee Journal article titled "EPA LAUNCHES MILORGANITE PROBE, dated February 12, 1987, the EPA planned a scientific investigation into a possible link between Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS) and the cadmium, chromium or other substances in MMSD's Milorganite fertilizer. , In the article Rubin "conceded that there were not many studies about the possible health hazards of sludge and sludge products." So where is the science that proves sludge is safe? http://journals.aol.com/nsa1025/Nati...s/entries/1028

"The Pennocks' son Daniel contracted a rotavirus and staph infection in March
The process was purposely changed since 1987 and supposedly the heavy metals are removed...
Anything happen recently that has strong correlation to Milorganite???