Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Manage Soil Microorganisms for Healthier Soil

While this article was written for agriculture, the info is also valuable for turf grass.

http://www.agweb.com/article/manage_...ealthier_soil/

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful not to overlook the differences between annual and perennial cropping systems, as well as the role of soil organic matter in soil physics. Soil organic matter most certainly means different things to crops than it does to lawns.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

And there are certainly many similarities.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I especially appreciate the information about the 3 different aspects/classifications of SOM...

*... "Passive organic matter protects clay, and the clay complex is a contributing factor in soil tilth. Passive organic matter also is a big contributor to cation exchange capacity and water-holding capacity," he adds. ...*
Since passive OM is the majority of OM, and it contributes immensely to soil health,,, a good next step would be to understand Tilth... I wonder why that next step is never taken...

*... Increasing your microbial populations involves the same practices that you’ve been using to grow higher yielding crops. Improve oxygen and water infiltration—shooting for the ideal 60/40 oxygen to water ratio in the soil—by removing dense and compacted layers. ...*

I thought it was a little presumptuous to say that burying OM 9-11 inches deep would disallow aerobic decomp... I do not believe that oxygen disapates in sandy soils at the shallow of a depth,,, so those type of statements should be qualified,,, as in relation to clay loam soils or heavily irrigated soils,, to avoid confusion...

Good article though and easily understood...
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This article was recently published in the New York Times. I think it's important for us to realize the positive impact we can have on our environment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/op...nted=all&_r=1&

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Since passive OM is the majority of OM, and it contributes immensely to soil health,,, a good next step would be to understand Tilth... I wonder why that next step is never taken...
Axe, who says it's never taken? Adding OM is understood by many to improve tilth of both clay and sandy soils.

http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/213.pdf

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-14-2013, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No question that adding OM improves tilth... but what does that mean???

Here is more fear mongering... "A 2003 study in the journal Ecosystems estimated that the biodiversity of nearly 5 percent of the nation’s soil was “in danger of substantial loss, or complete extinction, due to agriculture and urbanization,” though that was most likely a very conservative guess, since the planet’s soil was even more unexplored then than today, and study techniques were far less developed. "

Earlier they said that extinction would endanger the FoodWeb, yet the producers of food are doing more than ever, and that is endangering bacterias... makes nosense at all,,, we need to stop producing food because it MAY ENDANGER our ability to produce food... this was 2003,,, have they found a micro-organism that is declining to a substantial loss??? These experts are real smart and we should blindly listen to them...
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post

What do you think it means?

Here is more fear mongering... "A 2003 study in the journal Ecosystems estimated that the biodiversity of nearly 5 percent of the nationís soil was ďin danger of substantial loss, or complete extinction, due to agriculture and urbanization,Ē though that was most likely a very conservative guess, since the planetís soil was even more unexplored then than today, and study techniques were far less developed. "

Earlier they said that extinction would endanger the FoodWeb, yet the producers of food are doing more than ever, and that is endangering bacterias... makes nosense at all,,, we need to stop producing food because it MAY ENDANGER our ability to produce food... this was 2003,,, have they found a micro-organism that is declining to a substantial loss??? These experts are real smart and we should blindly listen to them...
You have a very different interpretation of the article than I do. No where did I read the suggestion to stop producing food, instead I read how we can improve food production and quality by paying attention to the Soil Food Web.
The idea is to work with it, not against it.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The comment about agriculture being as detrimental to the "biodiversity" as urbanization,,, is another attack against the supposed evils of agriculture... I believe in working with the natural processes rather than against them, and I already know that to mass produce food in a monoculture is going to require synferts, and the only real problem I see with that is nitrates in the well water... that situation needs to be fixed...
However,,,killing off entire species of microorganisms,,, well let's see if it can be done in the hopsitals first, then we'll try to see how it happens in dirt... the microherd changes density in various environments,,, irrigation being the biggest change,,, but that scenario is a far cry from "substantial loss" or extinction of an entire specie of bacteria... that is straight and pure fear-mongering that is meant for popular consumption of the masses who believe that urbanization/agriculture are pure evil,, with another article to plant those ideas deeper into their psyche...
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, anyway.......

Originally Posted by Smallaxe

What do you think it means?

Franklin D. Roosevelt