Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-30-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

New Homeowner with tall fescue

I live in the mountains of Northwest Georgia. For the past 8 years, I have lived in a condo. Part of the condo HOA was that the lawn care was taken care of. Last month, I finally bought a house on a 2 acre lot in a subdivision. The subdivision was built in the middle of a huge farm. That being said, my entire yard is all tall fescue and is very "patchy". There are 4 or 5 spots that are completely bare, nothing but dirt. The previous home owner had a company mow it once a month and nothing more.

I want to transform my yard into something worth being proud of. As weird as it sounds, while in the condo, I really missed getting to do lawn work, etc. I grew up on a farm and know that tall fescue can be very tough, if not impossible, to get under control.

I don't even know where to start!! Do I attempt to get grass growing in the "bare spots" first? Do I try to get the tall fescue under control? In speaking with several neighbors, they told me that they have tried to get the other grass to grow but the tall fescue always comes back and takes over.

I would really appreciate any and all advice, input, suggestions, etc. as to what to do next. If needed, I can upload any pics that would be useful.

Thanks for the help,

JSH
Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fescue is all we have here. Nothing to be ashamed of its a great grass.

I would aerate and over seed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Overseed the entire yard with more tall fescue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Fescue is all we have here. Nothing to be ashamed of its a great grass.

I would aerate and over seed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pics? I am north of atlanta. I planted fescue in my backyard last fall. Nice looking grass but not at this time of year in georgia.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Growing fescue in GA is a chore, it just gets too hot. What's the weather like at your house ? What are the average daytime temperature's in June, July and August ? How much rain do you get during those month's ? What elevation are you at ? Do you have automatic irrigation ? Is this area in full sun ? Do you have good air movement ? You need to post picture's.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Growing fescue in GA is a chore, it just gets too hot. What's the weather like at your house ? What are the average daytime temperature's in June, July and August ? How much rain do you get during those month's ? What elevation are you at ? Do you have automatic irrigation ? Is this area in full sun ? Do you have good air movement ? You need to post picture's.

Please see my answers below. I will create a seperate post for the pics.

Monthly Average Temp & Rainfall for Rocky Face, GA (per Weather Almanac):
* June: 84 Degrees & .46" of rain
* July: 89 Degrees - .05" of rain
* August: 84 Degrees - .03" of rain

Elevation: Appx. 850' above sea level

No automatic irrigation & the air flow is good.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Pics

Thank you all for your help. I tried to use the attachment function but everytime I tried to upload a pic, I received an "upload failed" message. As a backup plan, I uploaded them to my Flickr acct. The link is below. If you can't view them, let me know and I'll try something else. There are pics of my front & side yard. If you would like to see any other pics or angles, please let me know. I hope these provide what is needed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96808044@N06/

Thank you all so much for the help.

JSH
Old 06-01-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It look's like the biggest thing holding you back is a lack of water. Fescue need's some water, 1/2 inch a week would be ideal but it would survive with no water for a month. You could do a lot of good just pulling a hose. However you do it, the best time to water is in the early morning, you can really tell a difference in plant health watering early. Do you have watering restriction's there or high water cost's ? The temperature's aren't extreme and you have wide open space's, you could have a nice lawn, unirrigated, but a decent stand of grass. You need to use the best seed possible, this can make a big difference. Anything on the left side of this list under GA1 (which is griffin GA) would be fine. - http://www.ntep.org/data/tf06/tf06_1...tf0612ft05.txt Plant this seed on Sept. 1 for best result's. Seed's need to be planted no deeper than 1/4" and watered daily for 2 week's to get going. Seed planted now won't make it. Plant seed at 6 Lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. on bare ground and 3 Lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. where you have 50% existing grass. Mow between 3 1/2 and 4" alway's. Mow at the highest setting in summer. Get a soil test so you know what's going on in the ground. Use this link for testing - http://extension.uga.edu/garden/lawn/ If you have any question's, just ask. Good luck.