Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-01-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The request made by the customer was to cut down the tiny yard low as possible, and spray it with whatever herbicides required to kill it. The bulk of it just seems to be foxtails, so no biggie... Fusilade II should handle that well enough, and throw in some Roundup to kill the few broadleafs that are hanging out. Also wants some ivy trimmed that's hanging on the stucco wall. The work wouldn't take much time at all, and it's just a one-time service, but hauling everything through the house just seems sketchy as all can be.

Her plan is to get it all cleaned up, and then put down some rocks or mulch in place of the existing lawn. Kinda glad she hasn't asked me if I'd do that as well, but now that I said that, I probably just jinxed myself. Haha
Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
The request made by the customer was to cut down the tiny yard low as possible, and spray it with whatever herbicides required to kill it. The bulk of it just seems to be foxtails, so no biggie... Fusilade II should handle that well enough, and throw in some Roundup to kill the few broadleafs that are hanging out. Also wants some ivy trimmed that's hanging on the stucco wall. The work wouldn't take much time at all, and it's just a one-time service, but hauling everything through the house just seems sketchy as all can be.

Her plan is to get it all cleaned up, and then put down some rocks or mulch in place of the existing lawn. Kinda glad she hasn't asked me if I'd do that as well, but now that I said that, I probably just jinxed myself. Haha
Using dollar a gallon round up on parts and $90 a pint Fusilade on others, why not use the R/U on the whole thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
by a cheap throwaway pushmower and leave it in the back yard all the time. only use it on that yard then leave it there when you get finished. keep it in the corner of the yard or something.
I like that idea.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It may just be that I don't mix my R/U strong enough, but I haven't had much luck with this stuff killing grass-like weeds effectively. I'm currently using Roundup Pro Concentrate, and mixing it at 2.5 oz/gal. for most applications. At least with the Fusilade II, I know it's going to get the job done.

PS: Completely open to suggestions on better ways to handle the spraying. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking over the label again, my 2.5 oz/gal mix is about twice as strong as it says it needs to be to control foxtails. Something's definitely not right, but not sure what.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:56 AM
Sponsor

It seems that from a landscape maintenance standpoint interior court yards for nursing homes and the like have zero consideration entry/exit. I do understand having to keep the inmates enclosed and protected from the outside world,however I suspect the same planners for tree requirements to secure CO's are to blame as well. Life was much simpler and easy when Common Sense ruled.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-01-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe sell her on the idea of having a gate in her wall lol

Old 06-01-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Is the area small enough that you could just bring a weedwhacker/trimmer through the house so that it doesnt make such a mess?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You could always just throw the debris over the wall and walk through the house to get back and forth.
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Stihl Handhelds
and American Muscle

www.Platinumlandscapemanagement.com
Old 06-01-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

just spray it and kill everything and then maybe put down landscape fabric, plastic, or something and cover it with rocks, stone paths, or whatever. seems that is something they are wanting to go for.

2.5oz per gallon of water the roundup should kill anything almost. i normally mix it up at 2oz per gallon for the roundup brand. if using off brand i mix it up 2.5oz per gallon because it's not as strong as the regular round up.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You know, they do make drop cloths these days. Kinda helps keep the mess off the carpet. Try to sell them on a nice low-maintenance design.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts