Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2015, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My new lawn trailer..

OK well not yet however I do have a plan to get off the back of my truck...

Couldn't find a decent priced trailer that would wok for what I wanted so I decided build one or rather revamp an old camper trailer. So I am starting with a 16' tandem axle frame. (FREE)

I cut off all the extras that I wouldn't be using and here is whats left that Ill be starting from. Have not made up my mind if it will stay a tandem axle or become a single axle.... that extra axle would help carry the weight of the gate though.

Here is a pic a drew up as a plan all though a little has changed. In the end I'm hoping to have a rear drop gate, A 24" x 24" x 5' cage upfront and 32" over deck, or I might go 4' wide with it and offset it to the left so I can use remaining 1' to hold rakes,shovels, push broom and so on. Will also have a place to store a 16' extendable A Frame ladder up front.

Plans have changed a little but pretty much the same.

04 duramax crew cab w/flatbed

21", 48" WB, 42" zt Trimmers & blowers I have chainsaws big & small, polesaws & more..... if it's orange & white it turns me on

Landscaping Design, Installing both Hard & Softscapes
Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

are you sure about this?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just curious, but can a camper frame and axles even support 5-10k lbs worth of equipment? Also, I wonder about balance, the tandems are set back quite far IMO. But none the less...good luck.

I'm also curious on how much you'll save building one. I can get a 16' tandem with all the add ons for just over 3k

Old 02-18-2015, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was back and fourth on this one, With it looking so light weight.
I had pulled this while the camper on it and it was pretty heavy. Heavier then a 16' car hauler with a small zero and equipment.

I plan to move axles forward and to add in additional heavier cross bracing. The "C channel" the main frame is the same sized and thickness as most of the lawn setups I've seen around here. On the bright side this trailer will NEVER EVER see 5k-10k lbs of equipment EVER.

As of now I have 10-13 yards as we don't focus on lawn care 100% (and use bigger trailers for heavier hauls) I'm hoping to have around 20 by 2015 season ending. So for now I run light non Commercial equipment. I ran a 33" wide cut with a few mods for 5 years (10 weekly's) before I beat the deck up enough to where it started needing repairs.

I figure the camper portion had to be somewhere around 800-1200 lbs or more with contents. Ill be adding less then 300 lbs of steel after removing around 100 lbs, So only a additional 200 lbs or so. Then decking so I would say less then an additional 400 lbs to rebuild. My 3 mowers, 21" or 22" toro wb, A 33" WB modded with a 48" deck and a Toro 42" Time cutter arent really heavy at all under 1000 lbs together. I only plan on running it for a year or so and then upgrading mowing equipment and trailer if the work in that field picks up for me.

As far as expense goes I could have picked up a beat up wore out utility or car hauler for a few hundred more than what Ill have in this. Then added things to make it the way I wanted and redone it.

Trailer- $ Free
Not much to title- $100 or less
All steel will run around- $300-$350
Decking 5 2" x 12" x 12' treated- $75
Light Kit- $25-50
Fenders- $80-$200
New chains and hitch mount deal- $40-$50
Used set of tires $100
Gate assist under $100
Paint under $100

Ill purchase a trimmer rack so it all locks down nice, that can easily be moved to a new trailer setup though.

Giving me a project to get outside priceless !

Really though you guys bring up good valid points and I hope it will be ok for the little bit I plan to haul on it. At worst I may need to upgrade axles if I wanted to haul a heavier commercial mower. If not I feel I could easily get my money back out of it for someone with another use. A 6 x10 rotted and rusted pop up frame trailer no title ppl are asking $500 if its had new Plywood and has a title $900 lol

21", 48" WB, 42" zt Trimmers & blowers I have chainsaws big & small, polesaws & more..... if it's orange & white it turns me on

Last edited by LoweJ82; 02-18-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, it sounds like you have it all planned out. Keep the thread updated, I like seeing projects like this turn out. Best of luck to you!

Old 02-18-2015, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I plan to post as I go however it will be weather pending. I don't mind the cold but not the wind.
To be honest you do have me a little concerned, However with looking at other trailers and adding/changing a few things on this one I think it will be ok. If not Ill upgrade to 2 3500 lb axles or sell it for lighter use.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

his how you removed the camper part??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHHkx929T8
Old 02-18-2015, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not one to usually voice my opinion. However (lol), I have to chime in. I bought a used 16ft landscape trailer for only a few hundred more then what it will cost you to build this one, and it only took up about 2 hours of my time. The trailer build may be fun, but wouldn't that time be better spent trying to acquire the 7 maintenance customers you want to get before then end of the year?

Just my two cents.
48" John Deere Walk Behind
Stihl Blower
Echo Whip

www.completegroundpros.com
http://www.facebook.com/CompleteGrou...leteGroundPros
Old 02-18-2015, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, your trimmer shafts are way too skinny. Those are going to snap like a twig!
48" John Deere Walk Behind
Stihl Blower
Echo Whip

www.completegroundpros.com
http://www.facebook.com/CompleteGrou...leteGroundPros
Old 02-18-2015, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
his how you removed the camper part??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHHkx929T8
Lmao no I didnt have any part of the removal, I just hooked and booked.