Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Scratchin My Head,,Dixie Chopper Cv740 stalls..

I have 2 Dixie Choppers that are afraid of water..
Both have Cv740 kohler engines..no safeties..direct feed from both fuel tanks..
Heres the problem..When on an incline with the discharge down they run great..
When on level ground they run great..When on an incline with the discharge facing up they try to stall..
Its as if they dont get fuel ...as soon as you get on level ground...all is good..
The CV740 engines have a float that pivots...and Im thinkin that the extreme angle of operation is pushing the fuel to one side of the carb and closing the float..
Possible lift issues with the fuelpump .?
Possibly all the fuel is flowing into the downside tank leaving little for the fuelpump..??

Anyone else seen this ???
Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, Slapper, I recall that issue coming up back in the day when I was still in the shop but don't recall any resolution. Remember, at the time I was strictly the "two stroke joke" and push mower tech. All I ever got from the Z jockey was what I happened to overhear. In the time I have been on my own, I've never encountered the problem.

Does DC allow you to run off the tank of your choice? If it does, you might try experimenting by operating on the high side and low side tank separately. If the unit shuts down on the low tank only, it's possible that you may be exceeding lift capabilities or have a weak pump. If the unit shuts down in both scenarios, your assumption about the float may be correct. Just a SWAG.

Might be a good question to pose to Kohler tech.

As you say, depending on the amount of fuel in the tanks, running dually may empty one tank into the other and the result is you'd be pumping air.

Last edited by dutch1; 06-04-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: correct
Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Im thinkin that the extreme angle of operation is pushing the fuel to one side of the carb and closing the float..

I'll agree with this theory Slapper, It takes quite some time to gravity fill one tank to the other and back once on level ground again. Only a minute to empty the float bowl......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
I'll agree with this theory Slapper, It takes quite some time to gravity fill one tank to the other and back once on level ground again. Only a minute to empty the float bowl......
If the lower tank is drawing fuel at a good rate...the fuelflow at the tee can be disrupted..
In theory...it could even try to pull fuel from the fuel filter and the pump...gravity feeding from both the tank and fuelline to the engine..
Think I will try shutting off the leftside tank....see if it improves...
Old 06-04-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fuel cap vents clogged or shut off? Was a big issue in the 90's as it would starve the engine of fuel if a cap vent was dirty or shut off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

piston slapper, my ztr bunton with the cv745 engine has been doing this off & on when I'm on the hills & its with the shute side up... mine also spits & sputters on level ground, when i hit some rough areas to fast it will almost stall...my carb has the black tip on the inlet needle & I could see a wear ring around it..I cleaned it up & worked fine for a while but its doing it again...I think I'm just going to get a kit for mine...but your theory of the fuel getting pulled from the line or filter sounds good to me...& i have seen my tanks gravity feed before when i checked my fuel one side had a lot more & i was on a hill right before that...but I think I'm leaning towards the issue being the carb?!? & mine will sometimes run for days without any issues but then might act up for several days...
Old 06-04-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does the engine have a low oil sensor ? Could be not enough oil at sensor with the chute side up hill on steep bank/incline. Just another possibility.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just a recap...
These mowers have no safeties....only way to shut them down is by the key...or removing power to the engine..
They run good at all times except when the left side of the mower is 2 ft or more lower than the right side...
The fuel inlet on the carb...and the float hinge is on the left side of the mower..meaning the float wouldn't shut ...it would stay open..
Hmmmm.....any more ideas..??
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
They run good at all times except when the left side of the mower is 2 ft or more lower than the right side...
So it would be feeding off the right tank... have you check to see if there is crud in the right tank that could be moving around that temperately blocks the outlet ?

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
any more ideas..??

.Convert to LP !!!

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!