Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-06-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

How many hours on original hydraulics?

How many hours do you have on original hydraulics? My Exmark Z 3700 hours and no failers yet also seill feeling strong wondering wjen its going to shut down for new pumps and motors?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That's pretty good....maintenance pays off....
Keep bragging and something is bound to fail....always does....well usually..
Old 07-06-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Not bragging , decision time new mower or new engine , zero percent at Exmark new Z or repower the old unit for the third time at 1/3 the cost and run the hydro till it fails, wondering when it might fail ...
Old 07-06-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sell the mower and buy a new mower...
Exmark Zs have the highest resale values...
That's a lot of hours on the hydros...it might turn into a money pit...
Besides...there's nothing like the ride and smell of a new mower...
Old 07-06-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually have the opposite problem, the hydro pumps go way before the engine...I'm not sure what's worse? (probably engine?)

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-06-2013, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Sell the mower and buy a new mower...
Exmark Zs have the highest resale values...
That's a lot of hours on the hydros...it might turn into a money pit...
Besides...there's nothing like the ride and smell of a new mower...
You sound like my dealer , I agree with you but still undecided , only thing better about a new Z is that its new, no real improvement over the older units, Emarks zero finance end this month so coming down to decision time
Old 07-06-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor1 View Post
I usually have the opposite problem, the hydro pumps go way before the engine...I'm not sure what's worse? (probably engine?)
My engines engines last 2,000 hours with good maintenance, so far have had four Z's and only one has blown a wheel motor and that was at 1900 hours, I change the hydro oil at 500 hours or at spring time, which ever come first.

thanks for the replies
Old 07-06-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Rat 95B View Post
How many hours do you have on original hydraulics? My Exmark Z 3700 hours and no failers yet also seill feeling strong wondering wjen its going to shut down for new pumps and motors?
We have two old Exmarks here, 102 and 103. The 02 (that's the year) sits in the back of the shop with 3850 hours on the engine. It will get repowered this fall. The 03 was repowered last year at some where around 36 to 3700 hours, I would have to check my book to tell you exactly when. I'm sure it has more then 4000 hours now.

In all this time, the only hydro failure was a pump, on which one I don't remember, again I would have to check my book...The pump failed because of a bad bearing on the out out shaft.

These two exmarks have paid for themselve. How long will the hydros last ? At this point it doesn't matter. The frames are rock solid, only two of the spindles have had to be rebuilt out of the six.
Other then PM maintenance, belts, AF, oil filters, oil, hydro filter and front yoke wheel bearings. If I where to price it out, I'm sure it would be well under a grand per year, vs a new Exmark 60" Z...???

Now we also run two 09s and a 12, the 09s are in the 1500 hour range with out any hydro problems, as is the 12, at around 500 hours. It's a different set up, so only time will tell.....

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 07-07-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
We have two old Exmarks here, 102 and 103. The 02 (that's the year) sits in the back of the shop with 3850 hours on the engine. It will get repowered this fall. The 03 was repowered last year at some where around 36 to 3700 hours, I would have to check my book to tell you exactly when. I'm sure it has more then 4000 hours now.

In all this time, the only hydro failure was a pump, on which one I don't remember, again I would have to check my book...The pump failed because of a bad bearing on the out out shaft.

These two exmarks have paid for themselve. How long will the hydros last ? At this point it doesn't matter. The frames are rock solid, only two of the spindles have had to be rebuilt out of the six.
Other then PM maintenance, belts, AF, oil filters, oil, hydro filter and front yoke wheel bearings. If I where to price it out, I'm sure it would be well under a grand per year, vs a new Exmark 60" Z...???

Now we also run two 09s and a 12, the 09s are in the 1500 hour range with out any hydro problems, as is the 12, at around 500 hours. It's a different set up, so only time will tell.....

Thanks Beemaer , good post , good to some some else also running there equipment for more than four years too