Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need help with 66" xr7 setup

Recently noticed that my super z is cutting like garbage. I scraped the deck and sharpened the blades to no avail. It's leaving uncut strips between the tires at all cutting heights. I measured front to back and side to side and the deck was pitched fine, but was unlevel side to side, being 1/2" lower on the left side.

I spent this afternoon starting from scratch and going through the setup procedure as the manual dictates. Long story short I ended up exactly the same as before I started with the deck 1/2" lower on the left side. The tires are all within the allotted 8-12 psi.

I was going to pick up a new set of extra high lifts from the dealer, but he was closed today. I'm currently running a set of gators, but the problem existed when I had my set of high lifts on as well.

I'm at a loss as to what could be causing the uneven cut. I took some pictures, but can't upload them at the moment because I'm on my phone. I know there are a couple of you guys that run the xr7 and was hoping you would have a clue as to what is going on.

I hate paying someone to work on my mower, but I'm about to take it to the dealer and have him mess with the deck setup, because I'm at my wits end with it today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bought new blades, evened out the tires and leveled the deck still having the uneven cut. It almost looks to be like air disturbance under the deck. The deck is clean though so I have no idea what is going on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow! You leveled the deck with new blades and still have an uneven cut? Thats crazy. Spindles tight? I dont know what else it could be?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have pics I will get up tonight that show the severity of the problem.

I don't know what led to this. There is nothing in my mind that I did to throw this thing off as bad as it is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here are the pics. The first one is the cut from my machine about 3 weeks ago. Very acceptable by my standards and it cut like this at any height and relatively any speed.

The last three are of the cut problems I'm experiencing right now. Photo two and three are of the same property as the first. I cut the property down to 3" from around 5.5-6" in these photos. The last picture was taken at my shop, I cut at around 4.5" so you could see the problem more clearly. No matter what height I cut at, those lines appear inside my tire tracks. I want my good cut/stripe back!
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why I got rid of my 66 xr7. The more the growth the more it shows how inept the xr7 deck is. The last picture looks like its wet and sinking in more than normal, and the center blade is pitched enough to make it gouge or cut shorter. I tried everything and will not own Hustler for that reason. What yr is it, how long you had it?

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a 2010 model, and I've only had it for this season. It came with the business I bought back in march. What I don't understand is that it cut fine in the damp spring growth on thick yards and now it's sucking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
It's a 2010 model, and I've only had it for this season. It came with the business I bought back in march. What I don't understand is that it cut fine in the damp spring growth on thick yards and now it's sucking.
Posted via Mobile Device
I used to have to scrape my deck a lot as that would disrupt the airflow. The higher i cut the more it would leave strips. i think i had 1/4 inch pitch from the back of the side blades to the front center maybe 3/8 inch. Side to side needs to be within 1/4 or it shows, check the pedal or bushings on the low side usually the pedal side you should be able to adjust it more evenly, but cut quality is why i got rid of mine. gators make it worse. oh yeah always check the pitch at your cutting height too to be accurate.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There does seem to be an awful lot of play in the deck lift mechanism. I can see it when I lift the left side of the deck up and down. I will keep adjusting pitch and see if that helps. I thought about removing the two front baffles that form cutting chambers in front of the blades, because they seem to attract grass and pack up in no time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like the blade overlap is not sufficient. Is the problem worse the faster you mow? When the blades wear the tip rounds off and effectively makes the blade shorter. New blades should have fixed the issue. Are you sure the dealer sold you the correct ones? I've been sold blades that wouldn't even fit on the machine by dealers who should have known better. Not familiar with your mower, but the belt driven decks I've used usually have less than 1 inch of blade overlap. Ended up replacing blades when 2 stripes (on a 3 blade deck) started showing up even though blades looked like they had a lot of wear left in them.