Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-27-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Strips of uncut grass in between blades is usually the result of either not enough blade overlap, an air flow issue, or rounded blade tips. You said you replaced the blades with new ones, so it shouldn't be the tips or cutting edge being rounded off. Do you still have that triangluar baffle bolted in in front of the left and center blades? If so, take it out and try it. That would make that deck a lot more like the V+ deck in design/shape underneath, and even a slight change in air flow/ turbulence can make a big difference in the QOC.
With regard to the air flow, would you think the centre blade being pitched 1/4" forward from the other blades would be causing this kind or air flow issue.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

green-
without being there to see what all is going on in person, it's really hard to say anything accurately, but I would think having one blade off that far from the other two would cause all sorts of problems. I just can't say if a turbulence issue would be one of them or not.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
green-
without being there to see what all is going on in person, it's really hard to say anything accurately, but I would think having one blade off that far from the other two would cause all sorts of problems. I just can't say if a turbulence issue would be one of them or not.
I know Im harping on, but I just think that shouldn't have a pitch on it like that & just happens to be QOC issues, could be a coincidence & both are separate issues. Or it could very well be that one problem is causing the other.

id be spending my time on rectifying that before trying other time consuming things, then you can rule it out & plus get it back to the way it should be. If there did happen to be a pitch on the pulley, then eventually it will wear the belt.

edit: Other tips from mick-ridin are great and better than I can offer. Im not discounting that in any way! Just think since you've found a problem, you might as well attempt to fix that, unless u know for sure it couldn't be causing the problem, which I don't think we do.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I know Im harping on, but I just think that shouldn't have a pitch on it like that & just happens to be QOC issues, could be a coincidence & both are separate issues. Or it could very well be that one problem is causing the other.

id be spending my time on rectifying that before trying other time consuming things, then you can rule it out & plus get it back to the way it should be. If there did happen to be a pitch on the pulley, then eventually it will wear the belt.

edit: Other tips from mick-ridin are great and better than I can offer. Im not discounting that in any way!
I will check the pulley for level as soon as I can find my level. I would need to check at two relative points I would think. For instance, place level on deck surface and then on pulley in order to see if there are differences between the two.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Mick, no real chance of getting them any shorter. It's in the steady 90's now and was over 100 today. We haven gotten any substantial rain in over 3 weeks, our grass is burning up now. Gotta keep a little length on it.

It may be a length thing. In the spring I was cutting shorter, lush grass and maintaining it around 2.5-3". Now it's hot and dry and the grass is sparse. I've moved the cutting height up to ~3.25-3.75. It may be a seasonal thing, but it's utterly frustrating.
Posted via Mobile Device
You have solved the puzzle, and I posted this time and time again, the XR-7 cuts great at 3" or below, and does exactly what you are seeing at 3 1/2" or above.

This is very simple to figure out, and definitely not something new. Find some decent grass and drop the cutting height below 3" and watch your problem disappear, raise the deck back to 3 1/2" and watch the problem reappear. There is nothing wrong with your mower, it's the nature of the beast.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If that is truly what it is ill be pissed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
If that is truly what it is ill be pissed.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would take bets that's the problem, give it a try tomorrow.

You can't get rain, and it has rained me out again today, we are 10" above normal. We've had entirely too much rain, I can't remember in my 40 yrs of farming ever seeing my corn look this bad.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

See it hasn't rained in a while, but our corn around here is doing well! Same with beans. I drove past a bean field today with fully developed leaves already. Probly 8-10" tall already.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was just looking at a 2012 66" super z and I had an idea. Puppy, do you have any clue if the 66" vx4 will bolt up to a 2010 frame? The mounting points look similar.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I will check the pulley for level as soon as I can find my level. I would need to check at two relative points I would think. For instance, place level on deck surface and then on pulley in order to see if there are differences between the two.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmm, even if the pulley ended up being level, I would still be wanting to rectify the pitch on that middle blade. I dunno how & I do understand how much of a pita it may be. But a 1/4" pitch on the centre blade is standing out like dogs balls to me as a problem.