Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
No mick, you have a valid idea here. I will see if I can find any blades like that. The thing is, I have an odd sized deck, there aren't many blades for the 66".

How is the cut on the vx4? I know you hate it for the clumping, but does it leave a smooth cut? Reason I ask is because around here I don't cut many lush, thick lawns, do you think the deck would still clump in dry grass?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm running a 72" VX4 and have yet to see the first clump, but as we all know, different cutting areas bring about different results.

I run the 72" at top speed when cutting a large percentage of the time and it leaves a very good cut, absolutely nothing left standing. The only thing I see that would concern people on high end lawns is the longer clippings, but this is something that does not bother me in the least, and that is due to the fact they are scattered so thinly and uniformly.

I hear many people talk about it being impossible to cut grass at 13 to 14 mph, not true in my area, and as a matter of fact when I was cutting Saturday I caught myself on more than one occasion trying to push the steering levers more forward in an attempt to get additional speed. That would be hard for most to comprehend, a 15 mph ground speed mower, and the operator is trying to make it move faster. People must remember, with deck drag and blade spin you are probably only cutting in the 13 mph range.

I had a friend stop by the other day wanting to operate the 35/72 but I had no grass left to cut. He got on the mower and took off what looked like a rocket due to me never seeing anyone run the machine but me. I looked at the speed he was running and said to myself, watching a mower moving at that speed is extremely hard for me to believe it could cut grass and do a good job. The mower looked to be flying, faster than a normal person would believe grass could be cut without leaving any standing, but a mower running with the deck not touching and blades not turning is much faster than one actually cutting.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is mowerconsultant still on here? I know he was the rep when this whole problem with the xr7 was going on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Is mowerconsultant still on here? I know he was the rep when this whole problem with the xr7 was going on.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think he is, but if I'm not mistaken he works for Bad Boy now. I don't know if he can offer any help or not.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ill shoot him a private message and see if he can help. Obviously he probly can't publicly speak about it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's kinda what I was thinking you should do too, and what I meant by "offer any help" . I think publicly it would be a conflict of interest for him.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking you should do too, and what I meant by "offer any help" . I think publicly it would be a conflict of interest for him.
Right on! Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep plugging along. Sad thing is this mower only has around 850 hours, so I'll definitely have it for a while. Hopefully I can get it worked out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've never owned one, but just looking at pictures of them from the underside, the design looks like it should be a great cutting deck for most areas, but I've heard more horror stories about that deck than almost any other outside of the clumping issue of the VX4. Really puzzling to me......
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I've never owned one, but just looking at pictures of them from the underside, the design looks like it should be a great cutting deck for most areas, but I've heard more horror stories about that deck than almost any other outside of the clumping issue of the VX4. Really puzzling to me......
Yeah I agree here, and I guess the cut is acceptable by most standards, but not mine. I may have to just accept that it's an inferior deck and will never provide me with the results I'm expecting.

My next mower will be a walker mbs, so my cut expectations will be fulfilled I'm sure. I'll most likely keep the hustler for those large jobs that I don't want to put a nice, new mower on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The MBS Walker's are the only ones they make that interest me. Which model are you wanting to buy?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna go with the mbs 29 efi, I haven't decided on which deck yet. Supposedly the 52" rear discharge/mulch deck is really good. My problem is I cut alot of thick bimonthly grass during the spring and I wonder if it will do good in those conditions. The only other option for me is the 60" sd.

The thing that sold me on them is the ability to follow contours. They pivot so well that it really reduces trimming in ditches and around uneven obstacles like trees that have sloped ground around the base. Plus they are extremely easy on fuel and are lighter overall making them easier to haul and easier on the grass.
Posted via Mobile Device