Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like the split tail wheels on them, and the cleaner looking lines overall.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They are nice machines, plus a family owned company
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
They are nice machines, plus a family owned company
Posted via Mobile Device
Better yet- they are an American family owned company.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, might be on to something. I finished mowing early today and went back to the shop to change oil. I did something I should have done long ago.

I got under the deck and decided to measure from the blade tip up to the underside of the deck plate. This was with the blades facing front to back on the mower. Here are the measurements with the front measurement first, then the back.

Left blade: 5 3/16" front ; 5 3/16" back
Middle blade: 5 1/4" front ; 5" back
Right blade: 5 1/8" front ; 5 1/8" back

I'm not so concerned with the 1/16" difference in the left and right blade. The blatant problem to me is the center blade. This might explain the problem, but idk. I guess the next step is to get a new spindle on there and see if that remedies the issue. I'm not sure how much they cost for the xr7 deck, but I sure hope it fixes it. Because the only thing it could be after that is the deck itself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I'm running a 72" VX4 and have yet to see the first clump, but as we all know, different cutting areas bring about different results.

I run the 72" at top speed when cutting a large percentage of the time and it leaves a very good cut, absolutely nothing left standing. The only thing I see that would concern people on high end lawns is the longer clippings, but this is something that does not bother me in the least, and that is due to the fact they are scattered so thinly and uniformly.

I hear many people talk about it being impossible to cut grass at 13 to 14 mph, not true in my area, and as a matter of fact when I was cutting Saturday I caught myself on more than one occasion trying to push the steering levers more forward in an attempt to get additional speed. That would be hard for most to comprehend, a 15 mph ground speed mower, and the operator is trying to make it move faster. People must remember, with deck drag and blade spin you are probably only cutting in the 13 mph range.

I had a friend stop by the other day wanting to operate the 35/72 but I had no grass left to cut. He got on the mower and took off what looked like a rocket due to me never seeing anyone run the machine but me. I looked at the speed he was running and said to myself, watching a mower moving at that speed is extremely hard for me to believe it could cut grass and do a good job. The mower looked to be flying, faster than a normal person would believe grass could be cut without leaving any standing, but a mower running with the deck not touching and blades not turning is much faster than one actually cutting.
Wish I had conditions like yours to cut in, Id triple my income!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Id check all the blades are straight before looking at the spindles.
Something else to check would be taking off the deck belt (or just release tension) and feel the spindles for play by push/pulling the blades up n down etc.

Basically, release belt and feel for play, then take blades off and check there straight. Just place them on top of each other and youll get a quick idea if there all good or not.
Or, keep them on the deck, measure one side of the blade to the deck shell, rotate the blade and measure the other side of the blade at the same spot on the deck.

Im hoping its just a bent blade!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Id check all the blades are straight before looking at the spindles.
Something else to check would be taking off the deck belt (or just release tension) and feel the spindles for play by push/pulling the blades up n down etc.

Basically, release belt and feel for play, then take blades off and check there straight. Just place them on top of each other and youll get a quick idea if there all good or not.
Or, keep them on the deck, measure one side of the blade to the deck shell, rotate the blade and measure the other side of the blade at the same spot on the deck.

Im hoping its just a bent blade!
Mick, it's not the blades I measured from the tip of the blade up to the bottom of the top deck shell. Those are the measurements you see a few posts up. You might think it's the blades, but this problem was goin on before I replaced the old set of blades with a brand new set of oem high lifts. So that ruled out the blades.

I will try the belt idea, but idk what kind of results I will get. I took both sides of all the blades and checked for any play in the spindles from under the mower. There is no lateral play in the spindles and they turn smoothly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Mick, it's not the blades I measured from the tip of the blade up to the bottom of the top deck shell. Those are the measurements you see a few posts up. You might think it's the blades, but this problem was goin on before I replaced the old set of blades with a brand new set of oem high lifts. So that ruled out the blades.

I will try the belt idea, but idk what kind of results I will get. I took both sides of all the blades and checked for any play in the spindles from under the mower. There is no lateral play in the spindles and they turn smoothly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just to be sure, I would still turn the middle blade around and measure from blade tip to deck. If its the same measure both sides of blade to the same point of deck, then the spindle would be the likely cause!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess the deck wouldn't necessarily be perfect either. So I would also be checking the distance between blade and a level floor & compare those measures to the ones you have from blade to deck. To see whether the 1/4" difference is the same from floor to blade. Just rules out any discrepancy that may be in the deck

Last edited by greenology; 06-25-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is there any chance that the spindle housing has become bent backwards throwing the pulley and blade off, but not bending the actual spindle inside? Essentially making the center blade pitched forward, where the other two blades are still level with the top of the deck?

I have already measured from blade tip to floor and the middle blade tip was 1/4" lower than outside blades. And when I took that measurement I made sure there was no pitch to the deck because I understand that the front blade will be slightly lower if there is pitch to the deck.
Posted via Mobile Device