Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Is there any chance that the spindle housing has become bent backwards throwing the pulley and blade off, but not bending the actual spindle inside? Essentially making the center blade pitched forward, where the other two blades are still level with the top of the deck?
Posted via Mobile Device
I would say every chance... Something as simple as the blade bolt hitting a kerb on the way up. But if you check the measures of both side blades etc that will confirm whether the spindle is actually pitched forward.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I would say every chance... Something as simple as the blade bolt hitting a kerb on the way up. But if you check the measures of both side blades etc that will confirm whether the spindle is actually pitched forward.
Posted via Mobile Device
My measurements are on the previous page. Read trough that post and see what you think
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
My measurements are on the previous page. Read trough that post and see what you think
Posted via Mobile Device
Curb

I've found bent blades, worn spindle bearings etc by taking the blades and slipping them on the belt so that they line up end to end in each of their respective arcs. If there's a problem with the blades (even new ones can come from the dealer bent once in a while), or spindles it will usually show up doing this because the ends won't be on the same horizontal plane ie;, one tip will be higher or lower than the one it is pointing at on the other blade. It isn't hard to slip them enough to line up each end with the blade next to it, then do the same thing for each blade and both ends of them.

Also- check that all bolts holding each spindle to the deck top is good and tight. If some of them are loose, you may not see it or feel it just by wiggling the blade back and forth since the deck belt puts quite a bit of side tension on them.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The spindles on the XR 7 deck can bend and that will cause the mower not to mow right, have been through that on these mowers.

The newer Hustler have a new style spindle that should remedy the problem.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
The spindles on the XR 7 deck can bend and that will cause the mower not to mow right, have been through that on these mowers.

The newer Hustler have a new style spindle that should remedy the problem.
May be a stupid question, but would the new style spindle fit the old deck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I see, sorry missed that.

It sounds like the spindle is simply pitched forward.

Maybe you could check the pulley on this spindle to make sure its level, if it has a pitch on it also then that would suggest the deck itself is slightly bent rather than the spindle. If it was the deck, then you would be able to use shims to level it out without effecting the belt wear as you would also be straightening the pulley.

Sorry if you have already check the pulleys pitch.. I just skimmed through the thread.

Also I believe from realslowws posts that you can fit the new spindle, but not without cutting some of the deck away.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok green ill check the actual pulley for level and see what that looks like tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys yesterday I loosened the belt tensioner and checked all the pulleys for any play, found none. I climbed underneath and lined the blades up tip to tip straight across and the tips are all level with each other on the same plane. So I'm thinking its becoming just a blade problem with the current grass conditions. To my ability I cannot see anything mechanically wrong under there. I guess I'll try several different types of blades and see if that solves the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any place that you can go cut a little bit on that has a different type of grass to see if it is just the grass currently that you are cutting?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Do you have any place that you can go cut a little bit on that has a different type of grass to see if it is just the grass currently that you are cutting?
That's the problem, all my lawns that I use the hustler on are non irrigated Bermuda/buffalo and all the common warm season grasses and weeds. I have a few irrigated fescue lawns, but they are all too small and the owners would flip out if I tried using it on their property.
Posted via Mobile Device