Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #81  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Mickhippy's Avatar
Mickhippy Mickhippy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 3,984
Its very strange to me that your having problems, although its a 66" and not the 60 I had. I never had a problem with lines etc unless I was taking a lot off. We cut similar lawns by the sounds ie bermuda and buffalo etc.
I guess the irrigation isnt helping but even still, with the rain we get its the same thing.
Is there any chance you could get the lawns shorter like 2.5", and keep them there?
I would still see if you can get some of those off set blades but as you mentioned, they may not be easy to find.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 PM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
Did you check the pulley to see whether it has no pitch on it?

If the blades are all lining up side to side, wouldn't that mean the blades are straight and your problem lies with the spindle? Im not saying that 1/4" difference is def the cause of your problem, but it could be.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:53 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Mick, no real chance of getting them any shorter. It's in the steady 90's now and was over 100 today. We haven gotten any substantial rain in over 3 weeks, our grass is burning up now. Gotta keep a little length on it.

It may be a length thing. In the spring I was cutting shorter, lush grass and maintaining it around 2.5-3". Now it's hot and dry and the grass is sparse. I've moved the cutting height up to ~3.25-3.75. It may be a seasonal thing, but it's utterly frustrating.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Did you check the pulley to see whether it has no pitch on it?

If the blades are all lining up side to side, wouldn't that mean the blades are straight and your problem lies with the spindle? Im not saying that 1/4" difference is def the cause of your problem, but it could be.
I couldn't check because I couldn't find my small level. I don't really know green, it is just wearing me thin thinking about it. I'm about a minute from posting the damn thing up for sale. It's a good machine other than the cutting issue.

My next step is to call hustler, I'm located about an hour south of where their headquarters is located. Maybe they could send out a rep to look at it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:09 PM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I couldn't check because I couldn't find my small level. I don't really know green, it is just wearing me thin thinking about it. I'm about a minute from posting the damn thing up for sale. It's a good machine other than the cutting issue.

My next step is to call hustler, I'm located about an hour south of where their headquarters is located. Maybe they could send out a rep to look at it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea I know how you feel, had this feeling on 2 separate problems with hustler!!

That would be a great idea, if you can arrange the rep to have a look for. Mentioning to him the 1/4" difference & see if he can get to the bottom of it.

I mean that centre blade has a pitch on it (for reason we don't know).. so its cutting the grass 1/4" lower than the other 2 blades & the problem with your cut is in the middle of the deck isn it?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Yes as far as I can tell, it's leaving stringers in between outside blades and the two lines in the cut, so I'm guessing the center blade is the culprit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,897
Strips of uncut grass in between blades is usually the result of either not enough blade overlap, an air flow issue, or rounded blade tips. You said you replaced the blades with new ones, so it shouldn't be the tips or cutting edge being rounded off. Do you still have that triangluar baffle bolted in in front of the left and center blades? If so, take it out and try it. That would make that deck a lot more like the V+ deck in design/shape underneath, and even a slight change in air flow/ turbulence can make a big difference in the QOC.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Mickhippy's Avatar
Mickhippy Mickhippy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 3,984
As you know, Green and I feel your pain. Nothing worse than trying to sort this cr@p out!

Sparse grass and cutting high is kind of what the northern guys were having problems with with the XR7. Thats why they had to add baffles etc to try and remedy it. They were getting similar results if I remember right.

I would still keep the lawns shorter. Heat etc will screw things up no matter what height you cut. Cutting bermuda at near 4" regularly will set it up for problems later when you do get rain. It will become stalky etc. Then will be like scalping to get it back down to 2.5-3". Look at the 4th pic in your post 5. Stalky and has a semi scalped appearance! Yeah, its long and weedy, Im just using that as an example!

I find a more level deck is better on my similar grass. say 1/8th pitch. You could try lowing the pressure in the drive tires to lessen the pitch, and see if it makes any difference.

Is there some paddock or somewhere less important you could try cutting a little lower? Just to see if it makes a difference!

Edit... Do you have a triangle baffle in there? Take that out like Ridin said!
Another edit. Forget about my last edit! ha

Another edit, youve already tried a level deck. Delete that bit too!

Last edited by Mickhippy; 06-27-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Yeah the tips are good. I think it's a combo of not enough overlap and air turbulence. I have taken both of those air flow baffles out and it didnt help any thing. I will try leaving one in and then the other and see if that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
As you know, Green and I feel your pain. Nothing worse than trying to sort this cr@p out!

Sparse grass and cutting high is kind of what the northern guys were having problems with with the XR7. Thats why they had to add baffles etc to try and remedy it. They were getting similar results if I remember right.

I would still keep the lawns shorter. Heat etc will screw things up no matter what height you cut. Cutting bermuda at near 4" regularly will set it up for problems later when you do get rain. It will become stalky etc. Then will be like scalping to get it back down to 2.5-3". Look at the 4th pic in your post 5. Stalky and has a semi scalped appearance! Yeah, its long and weedy, Im just using that as an example!

I find a more level deck is better on my similar grass. say 1/8th pitch. You could try lowing the pressure in the drive tires to lessen the pitch, and see if it makes any difference.

Is there some paddock or somewhere less important you could try cutting a little lower? Just to see if it makes a difference!

Edit... Do you have a triangle baffle in there? Take that out like Ridin said!
Another edit. Forget about my last edit! ha
I will take all the pitch out and see how that does. My deck may cut better completely level.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.10404 seconds with 8 queries