Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-02-2013, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Running into lots of jerks out there

Must be Murph's law for me this season. I was out doing a mowing estimate for a lady who had a rental property that she needed mowed. I was pretty maxed with mowing already (esp. with this wet, soaked, muddy spring we have had), so it would have to be a nice lawn for me to consider it. I got there, and lets just say, I did not want that piece of business....junky lawn. Was ready to get in my truck and leave, and a guy pulls up with a mower, asking me if I am going to mow that lawn. I said 'nope, are you mowing it?' He said yes but I should be helping the owner out and mowing it for free 'out of the goodness of my heart'. I was baffled by this idiot, huh?? I said I don't do that, I run a business have to feed the family, etc. He said 'Oh, so that is what it is these days now, huh!'
What this guy was getting at was beyond me. I told him to mow it I won't be back. Called the owner of the property that evening and said I won't be touching her property, because of the jerk they already hired.

Moral of the story is, how bad of luck is it that I showed up just in time to interact with this idiot even though I was not asking for trouble whatsoever?!?
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-02-2013, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

She prolly prepaid him... LOL
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-02-2013, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow bogus, did you do something the lord did not like that day and he gave you bad karma? And stay out of the business if your a jerk is the lesson today!
Old 7x14 open equipment trailer
5x8 Texas trailers utility trailer (soon to have racks!)
Echo srm 225 Trimmer
Echo pas w/edger att.
Echo pb500h
A tube of grease and some gas!
Still wishin for that Scag Wildcat!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

People try to get us to do free stuff all the time. I tell them no.

Occasionally I will, but only if it's a personal situation where I feel the need to.

My philosophy is this, Don't do any work for free. But, do what you can to give back to society in other ways such as volunteering or donating to causes. If your business is successful to a point where you can give back after you've supported your family, than do so.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I give up trying to figure out why others think it's okay to ask ME to work for free? I've even had some of my regular customers ask me to mow their neighbors' lawns for free when they're on vacation or sick. When I say that I'll be glad to do it and just add the charge to THEIR invoice very few people want to me to still mow it. Occasionally it ruffles my feathers, but most of the time it just baffles me.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can be harsh and say:

"I'm running a business not a charity."
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This old docor's wife (widow) said she wanted to talk to me about something. I'll cut it short. She tried to flatter me by saying that she saw me on tv with that same mower (quick 36 a few years back). In her mind, she thought i was so dumb that i would then do her yard for free. Because she flattered me? A verbal scuffle ensued, and she ended it with "yeah, right". Shortly after, she left a message and said she was having a bad day, she didn't mean to hurt my feelings, and that she has been looking for someone like me for a long time. The lady was begging. Ofcourse, i ignored her. The part that bothers me is what gave her the impression that she could get over on me.

For the OP: I've never been able to try this, but next time, I'd like to ask where they work, and then ask for free goods and services. Hmmm, haawww, ummmm,
Old 06-02-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I rarely ever do any freebies. I do give out quite a bit of free advice on diseased plants/insects/watering issues etc. Stuff most homeowners are unaware of. Makes me look professional & impresses the client & helps me get the job.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Must be Murph's law for me this season. I was out doing a mowing estimate for a lady who had a rental property that she needed mowed. I was pretty maxed with mowing already (esp. with this wet, soaked, muddy spring we have had), so it would have to be a nice lawn for me to consider it. I got there, and lets just say, I did not want that piece of business....junky lawn. Was ready to get in my truck and leave, and a guy pulls up with a mower, asking me if I am going to mow that lawn. I said 'nope, are you mowing it?' He said yes but I should be helping the owner out and mowing it for free 'out of the goodness of my heart'. I was baffled by this idiot, huh?? I said I don't do that, I run a business have to feed the family, etc. He said 'Oh, so that is what it is these days now, huh!'
What this guy was getting at was beyond me. I told him to mow it I won't be back. Called the owner of the property that evening and said I won't be touching her property, because of the jerk they already hired.

Moral of the story is, how bad of luck is it that I showed up just in time to interact with this idiot even though I was not asking for trouble whatsoever?!?
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sensing a general up-tick in the anger-levels of people. Just the other day we were blowing off a property and this neighbor lady came over...I could tell she was fuming...she just about bit our heads off for getting grass clippings on her lawn......sheesh, lady.......I apologized to try to neutralize her anger but it didn't work very well....she still left fuming.... I almost asked her if it was her time of the month, but luckily I restrained.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
I give up trying to figure out why others think it's okay to ask ME to work for free? I've even had some of my regular customers ask me to mow their neighbors' lawns for free when they're on vacation or sick. When I say that I'll be glad to do it and just add the charge to THEIR invoice very few people want to me to still mow it. Occasionally it ruffles my feathers, but most of the time it just baffles me.
Same here baffled. I just tell them I have plenty of practice and don't need anymore and there will be a charge. Had a distant friend call my wife and said she is going threw a divorce and needed her yard mowed. Lives 25 miles away and is paying a high price of $35 to have it mowed now. Called and said I don't go to that town and it would cost her 100 if I showed up to do the yard. She said is that how you treat your friends, can't you help a friend out. Said sure, I will mow your yard and help you out and then you can help me out by coming wash all my vehicles. Ackward moment after that!