Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-05-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New John Deere (Wright) Stander

these have been out for a while now and i haven't heard much about them...are they any different from the wright stander x's? i have no experience with those

we bought two of the JD standers this year...at first, i loved them...now, as i am getting more experience with them, i feel like i don't like them as well as our grandstands that we sold earlier this year...i have heard a lot of good things about the stander x tho from wright, and apparently the JD is the same machine painted green

at first i thought the traction was very comparable to the grandstand, now i realize that the grandstands are definitely better, don't slip as much when first trying to back up, therefore the JD's make more ruts in the turn around spots...then i started to notice the cut isn't as nice, leaves the right side slightly raised as if the air flow is messed up, not a very good deck...the platform on the grandstand is easier to get on and off, also a lot more room to adjust your feet with the terrain...also, the blade sharpening experience SUCKS...not including the blade, there are 9 parts...one bolt, one nut, and 7 washers...that makes absolutely no sense to me...the toros you just zipped a bolt in or out, and that was it...on the JD's you have to hold a wrench on the nut on top, use a socket on the bolt underneath, then once you loosen the bolt all 9 pieces fall everywhere, have lost parts numerous times...not to mention it's a 12" bolt that goes all the way through the spindle

anyways, on a positive note, i do like the speed and responsiveness of the hydros, probably the only thing better than the grandstand...i heard the new grandstands go faster tho, not sure if this is correct or not

if anyone has an experience with these, please post, i'm curious to see what others' thoughts are...

Last edited by jbell36; 06-05-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i like everything about my stander X but the deck. it's just not up to par IMO. that said i can't stand any of the other standers for their OPC and standing positions. i'm a tall guy and feel like i'm standing on top of a grandstand or vride.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

there are a few standers here with the aero core deck now, and they seem to be doing a very fine job. however, i did chose toro over the stander, soooooooooo
Old 06-05-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
there are a few standers here with the aero core deck now, and they seem to be doing a very fine job. however, i did chose toro over the stander, soooooooooo
i would really like to know their secrets then!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
these have been out for a while now and i haven't heard much about them...are they any different from the wright stander x's? i have no experience with those

we bought two of the JD standers this year...at first, i loved them...now, as i am getting more experience with them, i feel like i don't like them as well as our grandstands that we sold earlier this year...i have heard a lot of good things about the stander x tho from wright, and apparently the JD is the same machine painted green

at first i thought the traction was very comparable to the grandstand, now i realize that the grandstands are definitely better, don't slip as much when first trying to back up, therefore the JD's make more ruts in the turn around spots...then i started to notice the cut isn't as nice, leaves the right side slightly raised as if the air flow is messed up, not a very good deck...the platform on the grandstand is easier to get on and off, also a lot more room to adjust your feet with the terrain...also, the blade sharpening experience SUCKS...not including the blade, there are 9 parts...one bolt, one nut, and 7 washers...that makes absolutely no sense to me...the toros you just zipped a bolt in or out, and that was it...on the JD's you have to hold a wrench on the nut on top, use a socket on the bolt underneath, then once you loosen the bolt all 9 pieces fall everywhere, have lost parts numerous times...not to mention it's a 12" bolt that goes all the way through the spindle

anyways, on a positive note, i do like the speed and responsiveness of the hydros, probably the only thing better than the grandstand...i heard the new grandstands go faster tho, not sure if this is correct or not

if anyone has an experience with these, please post, i'm curious to see what others' thoughts are...
I bought a new grandstand in April after selling off my old grandstand. The new ones are definitely faster and more responsive. I almost bought the new gravely pro stance but the agility and speed were not to my liking. Those new Deere standers seem very compact and agile.
Posted via Mobile Device