Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Help Me Pick! - Gravely 252 vs. Scag TigerCat 52 (with $$ Quotes)

UPDATE!

What would you pick? - Here's the prices I was quoted. I think I'm gonna go with the Gravely Pro Turn 252 - whatcha' think?

OK, I've got it narrowed down to the Gravely Pro Turn 252 and Tiger Cat 52. I met with the dealers, went over the machines and asked for thier best offers. I also asked to bundle in a trimmer: either an Echo SRM-266T ($340 list) or Shindaiwa 282 ($390 list).

FYI - Gravely dealer was very helpful and seemed to be a dealer who would bend over backwards to help me in case of warranty service. Gravely dealer more focused on high end residential with about 25% commercial busines. Scag dealer had more of an attitude that I was a one time buyer - I got the feeling he'd play hard ass with me if any issues came up. He was more 90% commercial and used to dealing with fleet type businesses.

Gravely Pro Turn XDZ 252
- Kawasaki FX730V 23.5 hp
- ZT5400 Integrated Pump (16cc) /Motor
- Lifetime (Limited) Deck + Frame
- 1/4" thick tube frame
- Suspension Seat
- List $8699

Dealer Offer:
1.) 252 (approx. $7900) + Echo 266T = $8200 (+ tax = $8650 delivered)
2.) 252 (approx. $7900) + Shindaiwa 282 = $8250 ( + tax = $8703 delivered)

Scag Tiger Cat 52
- Kawasaki FX691V 22 hp
- 10cc pumps
- 3 year Deck
- 3/16" (?) thick tube frame
- Suspension Seat Special
- List $7999

Dealer Offer:
1.) TC 52 @ List $7999 (no discount, he would not negotiate)
2.) Package of TC52 @ $7999 + Echo 266T or Shin. 282 @ $313 = $8312 (+ tax =$9019.93)
Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Tiger Cat is on the same level as a Gravely 152. So a 252 is a step up, a bigger, faster, stronger machine. I would go with the 252.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Options

The Gravely mowers have had a bad run lately with poor quality decks and bad manufacturer support. This is just my personal experience. I am looking at the Hustler line.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
The Tiger Cat is on the same level as a Gravely 152. So a 252 is a step up, a bigger, faster, stronger machine. I would go with the 252.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks GMLC - you've been real helpful and you're the reason I started looking at the 252.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwittmann View Post
The Gravely mowers have had a bad run lately with poor quality decks and bad manufacturer support. This is just my personal experience. I am looking at the Hustler line.
Can you elaborate on what you mean? I've also heard of issues (perhaps more than 3-5 years ago), but it also seems they may have turned the corner on those issues.

To be honest - this is my major area of concern of going with the Gravely over the Scag. I know Scag will be good - but the Gravely, I don't know.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Gravely

Bought a Gravely 2 years ago. Have gone through 3 decks and 4 sets of spindles. All out of pocket because Gravely would not stand behind their equipment.

The mower was in the shop mare that it was in the field. I junked it after the last set of spindles. It only had about 300 hours on it.

The decks are weak and the spindles seemed to be undersized. Parts are very expensive as well.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Please elaborate!

Gravely has the best support in the industry hands down. Also Gravely builds industrial quality equipment, a step above commercial quality. Im very confused by your post???!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Bought a Gravely 2 years ago. Have gone through 3 decks and 4 sets of spindles. All out of pocket because Gravely would not stand behind their equipment.

The mower was in the shop mare that it was in the field. I junked it after the last set of spindles. It only had about 300 hours on it.

The decks are weak and the spindles seemed to be undersized. Parts are very expensive as well.
What model?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I am just stating my personal experience.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
What model?
Posted via Mobile Device
the 252. And I did elaborate. I am sorry if I stepped on your toes. I did not mean to offend the Gravely dealers. I was simply answering the question honestly with my personal experience. I will never touch another Gravely if I can avoid it.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
the 252. And I did elaborate. I am sorry if I stepped on your toes. I did not mean to offend the Gravely dealers. I was simply answering the question honestly with my personal experience. I will never touch another Gravely if I can avoid it.
Im no dealer, no offense taken. Just curious, thats what LS is all about. Thanks for sharing your experience. The 252 is an expensive mower to junk!
Posted via Mobile Device