Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwittmann View Post
the 252. And I did elaborate. I am sorry if I stepped on your toes. I did not mean to offend the Gravely dealers. I was simply answering the question honestly with my personal experience. I will never touch another Gravely if I can avoid it.
I'm the OP. Thanks for replying. This is the sort of stuff I was interested in.

Since the 252 is on my short list, would you be willing to give me detail on the deck and spindle issues? What caused you to go through 3 decks and 4 spindles? Was it some sort of factory defect or premature wear? I would think thier limited lifetime warranty would fix those?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco1 View Post
I'm the OP. Thanks for replying. This is the sort of stuff I was interested in.

Since the 252 is on my short list, would you be willing to give me detail on the deck and spindle issues? What caused you to go through 3 decks and 4 spindles? Was it some sort of factory defect or premature wear? I would think thier limited lifetime warranty would fix those?
I would have thought so too, but, Gravely refused to do anything for me.

And by "Junk" I meant that I traded it in.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Cinco you can always talk with ProStreetCamaro. He has been running Gravely's commercially longer than anyone I know. I believe he has had machines with over 3000 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Regardless of everything, I think you would find a consensus that the Scag Velocity deck is hands down the best deck out there. Even with Gravely's continued improvements, the Scag deck is superior, so I would go with the Scag, the rest of the mower is more than tough enough for full blown commercial use.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

My vote goes to the Scag. I purchased a 61" Wildcat in 2005, and it has been flawless for 8 years.
My loyalty is so strong, today I pulled the trigger for a new Turf Tiger 61" with the Koehler 29 EFI engine.
It is more mower than I could get by with, but the new & improved deck, coupled with better Hydro system & more efficient engine clinched the decision for me.
I should have it in my driveway this Friday. Just over $11K with tax. I expect I can get a pretty penny for my low hour Wildcat to help recoup the up front cost of this Mercedes of the ZTR choices. I figure I'll be dead before this new beast is.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneseller View Post
My vote goes to the Scag. I purchased a 61" Wildcat in 2005, and it has been flawless for 8 years.
My loyalty is so strong, today I pulled the trigger for a new Turf Tiger 61" with the Koehler 29 EFI engine.
It is more mower than I could get by with, but the new & improved deck, coupled with better Hydro system & more efficient engine clinched the decision for me.
I should have it in my driveway this Friday. Just over $11K with tax. I expect I can get a pretty penny for my low hour Wildcat to help recoup the up front cost of this Mercedes of the ZTR choices. I figure I'll be dead before this new beast is.
The Turf Tiger is a great machine. I have personally run one with over 4500 hours!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwittmann View Post
the 252. And I did elaborate. I am sorry if I stepped on your toes. I did not mean to offend the Gravely dealers. I was simply answering the question honestly with my personal experience. I will never touch another Gravely if I can avoid it.
What model 252? ZT? XL? HD? Zoom?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Cinco you can always talk with ProStreetCamaro. He has been running Gravely's commercially longer than anyone I know. I believe he has had machines with over 3000 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

Indeed we have. The Pro-50 walk behind had like 3100 hours on it when we sold it. The kohler was getting tired but other than 1 peerless transmission and a couple belts we never had to do anything to that mower.

Our current 34Z is about to turn 2000 hours and it has had 1 set of belts, 1 idler pulley and the fuel line in the tanks replaced and I replaced the seat.

Our current 160Z has the xfactor deck and now has 1600 hours on it. I think I have replaced 1 belt and kohler rebuilt the engine at 200 hours due to a bad ring from the factory but that's not gravely's fault.

Our 460 only has 250 hours on it but it is absolutely sweet except for the kawasaki. My new 460 "should" be at my dealer today (fingers crossed).

I honestly don't have a clue how somebody could have possibly had so many problems with a deck of all things? What exactly was wrong with the decks? Was it the xfactor deck or a previous model? The previous decks did not cut as good as the xfactor deck. They were not bad but they would clump pretty easy.

Over the last 6 or 7 years gravely has really stepped it up big time.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Indeed we have. The Pro-50 walk behind had like 3100 hours on it when we sold it. The kohler was getting tired but other than 1 peerless transmission and a couple belts we never had to do anything to that mower.

Our current 34Z is about to turn 2000 hours and it has had 1 set of belts, 1 idler pulley and the fuel line in the tanks replaced and I replaced the seat.

Our current 160Z has the xfactor deck and now has 1600 hours on it. I think I have replaced 1 belt and kohler rebuilt the engine at 200 hours due to a bad ring from the factory but that's not gravely's fault.

Our 460 only has 250 hours on it but it is absolutely sweet except for the kawasaki. My new 460 "should" be at my dealer today (fingers crossed).

I honestly don't have a clue how somebody could have possibly had so many problems with a deck of all things? What exactly was wrong with the decks? Was it the xfactor deck or a previous model? The previous decks did not cut as good as the xfactor deck. They were not bad but they would clump pretty easy.

Over the last 6 or 7 years gravely has really stepped it up big time.
Thanks for the input ProStreet - you were a big help on another thread when I first started my search!

Did you have an issue with the Kawasaki engine on your older 460? Which engine? I was going to get the 252 with the FX730V 23.5hp.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco1 View Post
Thanks for the input ProStreet - you were a big help on another thread when I first started my search!

Did you have an issue with the Kawasaki engine on your older 460? Which engine? I was going to get the 252 with the FX730V 23.5hp.

My current 460 has the FX921V. The engine runs fine and is super strong but it drinks gas unlike anything I have ever seen before. It is over 2 gallons per hour. If you shut it off at half throttle or above it wont backfire upon shutdown but about once a day it will backfire when you go to start it back up. Sounds like a rifle going off out in the street. It will also bellow a huge cloud of smoke a couple times a week when you start it up. It does consume a little oil. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 quart every 100 hours. I also came across a thread on here where a couple guys said there 31hp engines kicked a rod between 1000 and 1300 hours. All of those combined started making me rethink this engine so I am trading it in on a 29 EFI kohler. It should be at my dealer today or tomorrow. It is 2:30 now so I am guessing it probably wont show up until tomorrow. I am about to walk out and cut my lawn and I might as well use the 460 because it rides so much smoother than my 160 and my 2 acre lawn is pretty rough (I hate @#$%@ MOLES!)
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)