Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I did an estimate for a young man about 3 yrs ago. (I have a thread talking about this incident)

I pull up and it's a brand new house. He wanted a semi-elaborate patio. It involved alotta steps. I told him he really needed to wait an give the property time to settle. He became very agitated with me and could not wait for me to leave.

See, his neighbor just had a similar patio built. So because another contractor didn't blink an eye at doing it - Mr. Andrew Hardscape was full of himself.

Posted via Mobile Device
what happened to the neighbors patio?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious what y'all think of this. One of the masons I know will (on newly built homes) dig down to undisturbed soil and build up walls/piers to just below grade, pour a slab across them, and build off that slab. It sounds reasonable. Am I missing something?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on the span between the piers, reinforcing and thickness of the slab I think it's just a bandaid until the slab cracks in the middle when that dirt settles out from under it. I see it all the time on a smaller scale when replacing stoops
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well yeah, it's concrete - no tensile strength without reinforcement. But I think adequately supported and reinforced, it sounds plausible.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Concretes not cheap any more. I'm paying 100/110 yard. I think it would be cheaper to excavate and compact in lifts
Wire mesh isn't enough to build a bridge which is what he is trying to do.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
Just curious what y'all think of this. One of the masons I know will (on newly built homes) dig down to undisturbed soil and build up walls/piers to just below grade, pour a slab across them, and build off that slab. It sounds reasonable. Am I missing something?
I see this all the time, and the key is undisturbed soil.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I designed a garage several years ago and the floor had to be a structural slab, because there was 8' of grade change from where we met the existing driveway to where the back wall of the garage was, 24' away. So the walls of the garage went up, we backfilled with 57s, and laid the rebar and poured the slab. It was a thick slab and a beefy rebar schedule but it wasn't that exotic - and we were clear-spanning 20'+. I would have to think that if your pier spacing is reasonable and you get aggressive with rebar and slab thickness it would work.

What ooks me out is when I see guys pour a slab to support steps and they pin it to the foundation wall. Don't think I'd do that.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I designed a garage several years ago and the floor had to be a structural slab, because there was 8' of grade change from where we met the existing driveway to where the back wall of the garage was, 24' away. So the walls of the garage went up, we backfilled with 57s, and laid the rebar and poured the slab. It was a thick slab and a beefy rebar schedule but it wasn't that exotic - and we were clear-spanning 20'+. I would have to think that if your pier spacing is reasonable and you get aggressive with rebar and slab thickness it would work.

What ooks me out is when I see guys pour a slab to support steps and they pin it to the foundation wall. Don't think I'd do that.
I think its just more common around NOVA, we use pier footings and dowels.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
well yeah, it's concrete - no tensile strength without reinforcement. But I think adequately supported and reinforced, it sounds plausible.
It is definitely plausible, you could run grade beams around the three sides and tie the beams into the foundation wall.

Superior walls puts haunches on the walls for lintels to bear on to facilitate the construction on a porch stoop prior to backfill even.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well sure it's very reasonable.

In Northern VA - people can afford to pay a contractor to go this route. There is MONEY in northern VA. Come further north into western MD and by the time the contractor factors in going this route - the client probably can't afford it.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.