Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 06-06-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

OK I'm stupid..blade removal??

I'm embarrassed to ask such newbie question, but why in the world is it so tough for me to remove blades from my 72" SuperZ? It is an '07 if that matters..

I have gotten it accomplished two months ago (after I figured out that the center blade rotates counterclockwise, haha) but now that I managed to bend my left blade, I got a new set..only to find both my center and left IMPOSSIBLE to remove. I didn't torque them too tight, I thought.

I've managed to break one 1/2" breaker bar. And I'm constantly fearing "rounding" the bolt heads now too.

Any tips? 3/4" breaker bar? A heavier impact gun? Heat?

Thanks!

(and sorry for assuredly a repeat question, I can't seem to find this topic via the search function for Hustlers specifically)

Western Oregon
2007 SuperZ 72" Kawasaki 25hp Rear Discharge
Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Sponsor

If you hit things like dirt clumps, stumps whatever it has a way of really tightening the blade bolt on that older model.
NO on the heat! you have seals in the spindle that would get messed. I use a 1/2 inch breaker with a cheater on the end. (pipe or something to get some torque)

Brian O
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

A 1/2" impact wrench & 150 psi air works well for me.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you sure that the center blade turn CCW? You may be tightening a R/H bolt the wrong direction. Only deck that I know of that has a CCW blade is the 60" rear discharge deck with the right side blade that turns left hand and with a left hand bolt.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I forgot to add the fact that the biggest mistake people make in when they mess up a blade bolt is that they used the wrong size or a worn socket or wrench.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

+1 on the impact wrench. Works like a charm.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have a look into Metrinch sockets.. http://www.metrinch.tv You may be able to just buy the socket, get the impact version for if you get an impact at some stage.

They grab more of the bolt head than normal sockets so can be used on worn heads like spindle bolts can get.
I agree using a breaker and a cheater about 3' long and take it slow. Be sure your loosening, not tightening. You may need to choke the blade to stop it from turning.
I have a very good 1/2 impact and there are times where Ive needed the cheater etc. It happens!

Put some anti seize on the bolt.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a little Never Sez on the bolts also.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Follow up..

I didn't realize that I'd sort of left this all unanswered, but luckily for this site, I saw again that it is the Right hand blade that is reversed (would have helped to just look at the blade patterns, haha)..the dealership here that carries Hustler products now led me astray to say the least in talking about the center blade being reversed!

So I now own a 3/4 inch breaker bar and all is good

Western Oregon
2007 SuperZ 72" Kawasaki 25hp Rear Discharge