The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.gradingandexcavation.com/GX/GXhome.aspx
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

The TL130/230 is quite strong for it's size.

I think real world lift capacity for them is ~4000-4500 lbs off a truck. The front track idler is much closer to the lift carriage/point of the machine vs. a wheeled machine.

The TK will lift bigger pallets of bluestone, full pavers, etc.

Seems crazy to spend 50k for one. lots of used ones out there.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I didn't buy it for resale, truthfully i don't want to get rid of it at all.
Whats a good magazine to look into? I need something new to read
Posted via Mobile Device
I just got my first issue of Compact Equipment magazine. It has some fairly good reading in it. All of the mags seem to be ad-driven without much real comparative information, just a lot of apples / oranges talking points by the marketing guys. As was said...they're afraid to lose advertising dollars.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea the articles are mainly the marketing reps from the OEMs talking their talking points. Except for the article I was interviewed for in "Equipment Today" LOL! I do like the magazine however.

I am not sure how you buy a piece of equipment and not consider resale.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Skid steers see such hard lives I never considered buying a used one. Therefore I never considered selling mine. Just run it into the ground then move it to backup duty. I get this from my dad. 51 and he has never sold a car. Drove them all to the scrap yard or donated.

I'm going to demo the 230 and put it through its paces hopefully soon
Old 06-10-2013, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Productivity and low operating expenses are whats money important when buying a machine. Resale value is really irrelavant considering the machine will make you so much money in it's life span. Never sacrifice productivity and operating expense for resale value. Sure it's nice to have all 3 but not a deal breaker. Gehl's here sale for just as much as Taks. Case has a terrible resale value in my area but there still a good machine. So if the extra 10k you get for your machine on trade in is what made the machine profitable?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We had an MTl 16 along with two other mustangs. Had 2600 hours on it. We put a 6 ft plow on the baby mustang and used it for sidewalks lol

I always used our 300 or 320s for lifting pallets on/off the trucks. Bobcat 250 would do it too.

As well as the ls180 and older 865 turbo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Productivity and low operating expenses are whats money important when buying a machine. Resale value is really irrelavant considering the machine will make you so much money in it's life span. Never sacrifice productivity and operating expense for resale value. Sure it's nice to have all 3 but not a deal breaker. Gehl's here sale for just as much as Taks. Case has a terrible resale value in my area but there still a good machine. So if the extra 10k you get for your machine on trade in is what made the machine profitable?

The only way resale does not matter is if you never sell it, other than that it matters or you have money to burn than of course, who cares. I am not sure how resale is not important on a 40-50K purchase. I have had some machines that cost me as little as $5.00 an hour to own, due to exceptional resale value. When it comes time to replace a machine that costs what these things cost now, its a big deal. When I trade a machine in for new one, I want as much as I can get for the old one, to say its irrelevant is in my opinion, silly. Why not maximize your investment? You can make money with it and get a fair amount back when you replace it.

Nobody is suggesting you sacrifice productivity and operating expense. Maybe a Gehl track loader will resale with a TK since its a TK, but Gehl wheeled machines don't hold their value very well, there might be isolated markets where they do hold their value, but overall they are not a good machine to resale. Not that they are bad machines, they seem to be rugged machines from what I know of them, but they are not a machine that holds its value very well.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What is the older model equivalent of the tak 230?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
The only way resale does not matter is if you never sell it, other than that it matters or you have money to burn than of course, who cares. I am not sure how resale is not important on a 40-50K purchase. I have had some machines that cost me as little as $5.00 an hour to own, due to exceptional resale value. When it comes time to replace a machine that costs what these things cost now, its a big deal. When I trade a machine in for new one, I want as much as I can get for the old one, to say its irrelevant is in my opinion, silly. Why not maximize your investment? You can make money with it and get a fair amount back when you replace it.

Nobody is suggesting you sacrifice productivity and operating expense. Maybe a Gehl track loader will resale with a TK since its a TK, but Gehl wheeled machines don't hold their value very well, there might be isolated markets where they do hold their value, but overall they are not a good machine to resale. Not that they are bad machines, they seem to be rugged machines from what I know of them, but they are not a machine that holds its value very well.
Resale is irrelevant. The machine should generate profit of 3 too 4 times it's value through it's life. So if bothe machines sell for 50k new and at the end of 4 years one machine sells for 10k more does it really matter? Your buying the machine to work not in anticipation of resaling it. Reslae value is just salesman talk and makes for good magazine articles. Most of the time when high resale value is mentioned with a machine that means there is a higher initial price too begin with than the competition. Of course if you bill hourly time with your machine then productivity is irrelevant so then resale value may be important as your profit with the machine will probably be lower.