Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Revenue from employees on side jobs

Tis is my first year with a crew out on their own. They mostly do mowing but often I have pruning, mulch, side jobs, etc. normally I would be onside helping with these, but as business grows I'm needed elsewhere.

My question is(and I know this varies across regions) but what are you looking to make per hour on guys? I've gained the trust if may customers and they usually just ask to do a job without a price.

I'm in a market with around $35 oer miw average lawns I'm paying my guys 9 and 10 per hour. So it's not a very high end market. $30/man hour out of line. $35/hr for crew leader and $25/hr for "helper"?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A 2 man crew for me is $80-90/hr when hourly rate is used, depending on how far, how long, and what type of work--general labor is 80 and irrigation work etc is 90/hr. I have properties where a 3 man crew can do $130/hr in maintenance. Your price is low, depending on your overhead... are you matching taxes and have good insurance? Don't forget to have a minimum disposal fee when you do pruning jobs---I don't care if its 5 bushes, they are going to pay $15 minimum in compost fees. I wouldn't be lower than $75/hr for 2 men.

My install crew can clear $127.50 gross per man hour (6 3 gallon shrubs per man hour in good soil, marked up $21.25 each). Completely depends on the job type and delivery is always charged if I bring materials with me.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

We are in the same ballpark as Andy if that helps.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys. I don't do any installation work, so most of my side work would be weeding, spreading pine straw/mulch, or pruning.

When I was solo or on the job I could give exact prices per cubic yard or bale. Now that I'm offsite I still try to give a price and not by the hour. I'm lucky to have a few customers who say I need pine straw ... Do it and send the bill. For those jobs I could use an hourly rate and convert to per bale.

Unfortunately most of the side job hours are at overtime rates so that has to be factored in.