Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2014, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
TruGreen is owned by ServiceMaster which in turn is owned by privite investment group Clayton, Dublier & Rice out of New York City. To my knowledge John Deere Landscapes/Lesco Inc. doesn't have any business connections with CD&R/SVM/TG. Except that TG buys their turf tractor applicator equipment from JD. And most of their products form Lesco. Then again who in the this industry doesn't buy from JDL/Lesco?
I wish I could.

No presence here in AK.

They closed the doors of the place a few years back…because they gave it no support and let a moron run the shop
Old 02-17-2014, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepointchamp View Post
TG is to big to completely fail. I would say that losing 500,000 customers in the last 3 years is pretty epic but they will still attract customers because of there ridiculous underpricing. Now that they have been sold off, it will be years before they start to see this huge down slide they are in to even out.
As much as you would like to use this as a selling point, you should really focus on benefits of the service you provide. Throwing another competitor under the bus no matter who says a lot about you. I don't think that's a good business practice.

But it sure is nice to see them slide!!!!!
you just threw them under the bus. that was not good business practice
Old 02-17-2014, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
you just threw them under the bus. that was not good business practice
Throwing them under the bus on this site is one thing... throwing them under the bus to gain a customer because your service doesn't sell itself, different story.
I am not trying to gain anything but stating the facts that are already out there.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepointchamp View Post
Throwing them under the bus on this site is one thing... throwing them under the bus to gain a customer because your service doesn't sell itself, different story.
I am not trying to gain anything but stating the facts that are already out there.
You are absolutely right. Customers don't want to hear you bash any of your competitors. It also makes you look like a creep as well. I just always point out that we are locally owned and operated. I also point out to them that although they may be cheaper.. You get what you pay for.

I will bash them on here all day though. They don't give 2 shits about their customers. They lie and confuse older people and are encouraged to do so by upper management. Karma is a ***** and Tru green is getting theirs lol

Last edited by Heidi J.; 03-01-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Cuz I can't spell for crap :)
Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi J. View Post
You are absolutely right. Customers don't want to hear you bash any of your competitors. It also makes you look like a creep as well. I just always point out that we are locally owned and operated. I also point out to them that although they may be cheaper.. You get what you pay for.

I will bash them on here all day though. They don't give 2 shits about their customers. They lie and confuse older people and are encouraged to do so by upper management. Karma is a ***** and Tru green is getting theirs lol
trust me, I hope trugreen is alive well and has twice the advertising budget as last year. Its by far my best marketing program yet. This year I have closed over 50 yards and counting lots were from TG
Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi J. View Post

I believe this statement to be spot on.

I picked one up the other day that they treated last year. A 70 yr old widow. They told her that her first app would be free but then mailed the first invoice. She had to argue with them on the phone about the salesman/tech telling her it would be free. On the second one they sent her a late notice 4 days after she had sent them a check for the second app.

Here's the kicker...
I am one of the more expensive services in my area. I quoted her a price of $46.50/app. After measuring the lawn, she invited me in and we went over my estimate form. It was then that she told me they were charging her $69/app. I was floored... That's just wrong on so many levels. Anyone who takes advantage of the elderly is a POS in my book..
Old 03-01-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I believe this statement to be spot on.

I picked one up the other day that they treated last year. A 70 yr old widow. They told her that her first app would be free but then mailed the first invoice. She had to argue with them on the phone about the salesman/tech telling her it would be free. On the second one they sent her a late notice 4 days after she had sent them a check for the second app.

Here's the kicker...
I am one of the more expensive services in my area. I quoted her a price of $46.50/app. After measuring the lawn, she invited me in and we went over my estimate form. It was then that she told me they were charging her $69/app. I was floored... That's just wrong on so many levels. Anyone who takes advantage of the elderly is a POS in my book..

In their defense, They prob. had someone measure the lawn that didn't even know he was alive. but yes i agree w u. pos
Old 03-01-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
In their defense, They prob. had someone measure the lawn that didn't even know he was alive. but yes i agree w u. pos
Nope. It was the "tech". He measured and applied...
Old 03-02-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Prices are prices, trugreen is definitely cheap in most markets, some markets they're standard. But regardless, they seem to universally do terrible work. They aren't competition, they're the company people start with, then realize they're getting raked over the coals. It's not hard to pick these people up, they're usually actively looking to jump ship.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2014, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
trust me, I hope trugreen is alive well and has twice the advertising budget as last year. Its by far my best marketing program yet. This year I have closed over 50 yards and counting lots were from TG
You are right about that! All their expensive advertising sure does help us little guys! Tru Green is a marketing company, where as we are lawn care companies