Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2014, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Scott's has certainly been targeting TruGreen. They are taking advantage of the poor job most TruGreen locations are doing.

But as others have said, don't concentrate on what the big boys are doing, focus on your strong points and promote the value smaller companies bring to their clients. Don't compete on price, you do better work and it is worth more.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-06-2014, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a first for me, but had a customer not go with me because Trugreen was higher on price.. He said you get what you pay for!! lol. 5,000 Sq. Ft. of lawn. A spring Aeration and overseeding $330.00 which isn't to bad. Spring seedings are just about a waste of money here usually. I was amazed that he signed on for lawn treatments at $78.00 per treatment for "8 to 10" times per year for 5,000 sq. ft. of fescue in georgia. They must really be raising the prices this year! Could be good or bad, i don't know.

Servicing Dallas, Acworth, Kennesaw, & Woodstock, Ga
Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Scott's has certainly been targeting TruGreen. They are taking advantage of the poor job most TruGreen locations are doing.

But as others have said, don't concentrate on what the big boys are doing, focus on your strong points and promote the value smaller companies bring to their clients. Don't compete on price, you do better work and it is worth more.

Absolutely!

A good philosophy to operate by that will pay big dividends.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

The nationals have gone waaay up on price this year. last year they were 40-45.00 for a 4-5K lawn this year they are at least 10.00 higher for the same lawns. Must be that they are looking for a boost in quality, finally.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvalley View Post
The nationals have gone waaay up on price this year. last year they were 40-45.00 for a 4-5K lawn this year they are at least 10.00 higher for the same lawns. Must be that they are looking for a boost in quality, finally.
Or profits.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just $10? More like an increase in overhead costs. At $10 per 1000, that is riding the edge of cost unless everything applied to the lawn is no more than $1 per 1000.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post

The two companies are going in completely different directions. That could be one of the reasons why there would be negative advertising showing the difference in the two companies. Losing 23% or 500,000 customers in less than 2 years is kind of a big deal. Scotts should be focusing on what they do best and stay away from negative ads
Old 03-07-2014, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Big mistake.

I know half a dozen long term TG employees that would make great employees.

I'm sure theres more.

You may have had a bad experience but don't sell "all" those guys short.

Much experience in the tru green ranks. Just has to be tapped properly and managed....educated.
I didn't say all.. but my experiences with them has not been good.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I dealt with one for 6 yrs. He knew what and how things needed to be done, he just couldn't completely get away from the quantity not quality mentality that had been so firmly engrained in him by Trugreen.
Example:
I let him take the new guy out this past summer a few times to show the new guy some things about insects/diseases and quiz him on some weed types.
While discussing some of the things he learned, the new guy tells me he was told that we are probably only going to actually be able to spot spray about 80% of the weeds that are in a lawn at any given time. The other 20% will probably be missed for various reasons.

That very well may be true, I'm not sure...but shouldn't the goal be 100%...at every property... even if it takes a little more time?

How can you ever expect customers to think you are the best if you lower your expectations of what can be done by you from the beginning...and then perform just as you had expected. I tried to explain that to him several times but it just never registered with him.

There were similar minor things that when added up could be a constant source of doubt(that the job was being done right) and frustration for me.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I dealt with one for 6 yrs. He knew what and how things needed to be done, he just couldn't completely get away from the quantity not quality mentality that had been so firmly engrained in him by Trugreen.
Example:
I let him take the new guy out this past summer a few times to show the new guy some things about insects/diseases and quiz him on some weed types.
While discussing some of the things he learned, the new guy tells me he was told that we are probably only going to actually be able to spot spray about 80% of the weeds that are in a lawn at any given time. The other 20% will probably be missed for various reasons.

That very well may be true, I'm not sure...but shouldn't the goal be 100%...at every property... even if it takes a little more time?

How can you ever expect customers to think you are the best if you lower your expectations of what can be done by you from the beginning...and then perform just as you had expected. I tried to explain that to him several times but it just never registered with him.

There were similar minor things that when added up could be a constant source of doubt (that the job was being done right) and frustration for me.
The irony there, is that on the flip-side; Experienced Techs from other lawncare companies that hired on with TruGreen would never last more than a few weeks to a few months. Even though they already knew the job. They could never "modify" their work habits to meet TruGreen's production and money driven fast pace. And TG wonders why they have lost so much customers and revenue since 2010?!?!?