Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
TruGreen puts the following statement in a lot of their advertising...

"Our proprietary patented DUAL LINE technology for delivering targeted weed control only when and where needed."

As I understand it, TruGreen's trucks spray reels are retrofitted with 2 separate hoses that are fused together as one, with one spray gun. Pulling the trigger half-way is just fertilizer, and pulled all the way back is fert w/ weed control.
The dual hose and gun was tried over 20 years ago with the Idea of saving chemical cost by spot treating. The problem was that system required an educated eye of a tech who actually cared. This goes back to what IMHO is the whole problem with TG. They are top heavy and use unskilled tech who are paid peanuts.

ANY TECHINCAL SERVICE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE TECH WHO COMES TO DO THE WORK.

In an article in one of the Green Industry Magazines. The new CEO for TG announced the Memphis home office had 300 employee and he would increase that number by another 200 in the next few years.

Draw your own conclusion about adding more top heavy management. BTW Nothing was said about educating or Keeping better techs in the Trenches.

I don't want TG to go under. They do provide Lobbying power for the Fert & Squirt industry that we Need in times of reckless Tree Hugging.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We had dual line hoses / guns on all the trucks from my time there 1996 to atleast early 2001 before they started switching out to normal hoses. the dual line hoses were never used when i was there. While all the trucks were outfitted with this system, we weren't trained on how to use it, and i'm not sure it even worked on any of the trucks. I don't know what they are doing now though. Its been about 10 years since i left.. Mabee they are doing something like that. I doubt it though.

I'm wondering if any of the other guys that used to work there got to actually use the dual line system? I figured it was just our branch being lazy and not wanting to mess with traning up guys on that system or mabee it really didn't work.

Quote:

"Our proprietary patented DUAL LINE technology for delivering targeted weed control only when and where needed."

As I understand it, TruGreen's trucks spray reels are retrofitted with 2 separate hoses that are fused together as one, with one spray gun. Pulling the trigger half-way is just fertilizer, and pulled all the way back is fert w/ weed control.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure we used the dual line when I was there in 2005-2009. I don't think it worked very well controlling weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2014, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
We had dual line hoses / guns on all the trucks from my time there 1996 to at least early 2001 before they started switching out to normal hoses. the dual line hoses were never used when i was there. While all the trucks were outfitted with this system, we weren't trained on how to use it, and I'm not sure it even worked on any of the trucks. I don't know what they are doing now though. Its been about 10 years since i left.. Mabee they are doing something like that. I doubt it though.

I'm wondering if any of the other guys that used to work there got to actually use the dual line system? I figured it was just our branch being lazy and not wanting to mess with training up guys on that system or mabee it really didn't work.
Yeah....I have heard that actually since the mid-90's all of TruGreen's trucks were fitted with dual line spray hoses right out of the factory. The trucks also had a separate retro/saddle tank just to hold the weed control. But most of the local Branches apparently said "screw it" an continued to blanket app their weed control. I hear that TruGreen's Corporate does a lot more micromanaging of the Branches now, And doesn't let them have the level of freedom to make their own decisions for their individual markets like they did years ago. No more "tweaking" the equipment to suit your individual tastes! So TG Corp is probably insisting & checking to see that all the Branches are actually utilizing their spray trucks dual-lines.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TruDetail

Quote:

I have been told that about 5 years ago TruGreen initiated a lawn treatment program called "TruDetail". Apparently during the "dog days" of July & August, they replace their spray gun's shower-head nozzle with a weed wand. Any only 'zone-spray' herbicide on the weedy areas of the lawns.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

TG employee

The trugreen bashing is hysterical to me. why? I'm a current employee. A lot of what was said is true. Like the spraying in the wind and rain. Some things are blown out of proportion. Or a result of the "whisper game". The fact is, under servicemaster, we were forced to apply processes by people who never stepped foot on a lawn. The model we were forced into was one set by terminex. They thought, he if it worked for term. then it should work for trugreen. It just wasnt so. So i see the separation as a good thing

I would say that the GM of a branch is the pivotal position on the results of the area. Our GM is extremely adamant about proper training, products, and results. (sorta, because we still spray in the rain lol) But my point is, we are seeing much better results than the branch that is 20miles down the road. Why? because our management is invested in producing it where they have had much turnover.

As far as prices? we definitely pay some customers basically to treat their undermeasured lawns. Others, we make money off like every one else. Especially the merit apps.

I dont think that I'm too cheaply paid. Ill volunteer my last years wages at $50,000+. I saw some people on here trying to hire management level for 25,000-$30,000?! good luck with that.

Im sure people will think im biased. Maybe this will help. Im actually leaving trugreen. lol i was provided a pretty good opportunity at a management level with better pay and an exciting opportunity. Sue me. haha

I just wanted to rush to trugreen's defense. Well, not the whole company, but at least to the branches that are out there that do it right.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good points there Greener. I think there will always be "wives tales" about TruGreen. I've never worked there, but I've heard all the bad stuff too (especially when they first entered our market).

"Dual hose" -- I "heard" it was a nightmare, and other LCO's in our market tried it (not just TruGreen). To my knowledge, nobody uses them now.

My favorite/most efficient was the "dual trigger gun" we used up until 1980 at ChemLawn. We carried a canister on a military-style belt that fed the 2nd line going into the gun (2nd trigger). This was revolutionary technology developed by ChemLawn. Unfortunately, liberals thought having a canister of concentrated herbicide was somehow dangerous. I never experienced or heard of any problems with it. Only problem I knew of is we had to flush the gun lines every night (it only took a couple minutes). ChemLawn/ChemScape was way ahead of it's time. Still today -- many methods are "stone age" compared to what ChemLawn developed. Sad deal.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

They have an "A-" rating with the BBB. It's only that good because they are so big, there is nowhere they can run and hide...The 2 biggest problems are billing disputes and service.

There are multiple websites formed by consumers who have gotten "the shaft" in one way or another by this company.

Sure, some branches are better than others. I'm sure there are a few around the country that are even outstanding but the couple of things I pointed out speak volumes about how that company as a whole has been run in the past IMO.

Change is always good...as long as things don't go from bad to worse.
We'll see

Larry, I enjoyed my time with Chemlawn and you are right, they were always doing R&D to help us. TG and CL are 2 different animals even though their names were together on the same Hippo for a couple of years...

Not trying to slam anyone. Just telling you how I see it.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree Ted. Bad reviews can be deleted or hidden. Just depends how much money is spent. We have an "F" rating on BBB because of 2 very old deadbeat customers -- we took both of them to court and won. We never respond to BBB inquiries cuz they're just a money making organization -- worse than any TruGreen branch.

As of tomorrow, "Gannett" will take charge of our existing website. They will also take care of our 2 fruitless bad reviews. Then they will put our company toward the top of search engines. (this is what TruGreen and many other companies have done)

Do a search for Gannett. You will have a hard time finding bad reviews for them.

Thanks Ted. That was a great post.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Angie's list sez...

Quote:
On January 15, 2014 ServiceMaster cut all ties with TruGreen and sent then off on their own. SVM wants to go back to being a stock-traded company, but couldn't do it as long as TruGreen kept dragging them down. And getting a new CEO every year or so, wasn't fixing TruGreen either.

HERE ARE THE BASIC FACTS:
Since 2010 TruGreen's customer counts declined 22%
Revenue declined by $210 million

The whole story can be found here...
www.turfmagazine.com/article-10230.aspx
Angie's List reviews...

Although A.L. doesn't mention any specific companies by name, you can pretty much figure out who they are referring to in this article.

"Homeowners reveal lawn scams and shoddy service"

1. THE PHANTOM COMPANY. Took money, but rarely/never showed up.

2. THE OVER-THE-PHONE ESTIMATOR. Starting treatment without first inspecting the lawn.

3. UNAUTHORIZED SERVICE. Being billed for services never authorized, and/or continuing treatments after cancelling.

4. SIMPLE INCOMPETENCE. Destroying lawns from chemical mishap and/or misdiagnosing lawn problems.

You can read the entire article at this link...
http://www.angieslist.com/articles/h...dy-service.htm