Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Walker Side Discharge on GHS

Talk to me guys...... Who's all running side discharge decks on their GHS models? I have a need for both almost all the time so I am looking into either the 56 or the 62...(currently have the 48ghs) I am dying to get either an MB or MBS but for the time being, a side discharge deck will have to do... I have been scouring the net for photos of GHS models with larger Side Discharge decks.... I mean, these set ups have to look Bad A$$ right? Anybody feel like chatting about it or have any photos?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm interested in this as well. I have been looking at the 52" and 56". The 52" looks deeper and could potentially process thicker/taller grass, but the 56" is timed and would most likely cut better because of the overlap, maybe I'm wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you run for a machine(s)? I have the 26 efi... I thought the same thing about the 52 being deeper... The 56 doesnt' seem like it would be wide enough but I run a 48 now and 10 inches is alot more cutting space... In all my years running Walkers and being a general Walker fanatic, I have yet to see a 74 or even a 62 on a GHS.... Is everybody dropping the ball or is there something that I just don't know about? I mean, I run my 26EFI with the 48.... I also run a standard Scag belt walk behind 48 for the rougher stuff and crazy hills but if I also had a 56 or 62 SD in the trailer I would be GOLDEN!!!!! Why aren't more guys doing this?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an old 54 inch sd deck on the 21 hp diesel and it works good for me. With a plate covering the opening it mulches magnolia leaves small enough I can leave them. I used to flip the center gear box around in the fall to shred leaves and have never seen anything do a better job. Bit scary though.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 1997 MT GHS 20 hp unit with close to 6000 hours on it. I run a 42"GHS deck and a 62" SD deck. The 62" deck makes it feel like a totally different machine. I love the 62" deck. It will cut a nice lawn, a hay field or even work as a brush hog. If I can push the brush over, it will cut it. I also run a Buafflo Turbin blower on it for fall cleanups.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
What do you run for a machine(s)? I have the 26 efi... I thought the same thing about the 52 being deeper... The 56 doesnt' seem like it would be wide enough but I run a 48 now and 10 inches is alot more cutting space... In all my years running Walkers and being a general Walker fanatic, I have yet to see a 74 or even a 62 on a GHS.... Is everybody dropping the ball or is there something that I just don't know about? I mean, I run my 26EFI with the 48.... I also run a standard Scag belt walk behind 48 for the rougher stuff and crazy hills but if I also had a 56 or 62 SD in the trailer I would be GOLDEN!!!!! Why aren't more guys doing this?
I have two 23hp kohlers on my machines. My dealer told me that the lower horsepower walkers perform great with bigger decks as long as they are gear driven versions. He said he used to run a 62" with an 18 horse kohler. I don't know if I believe that or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard that same statement as well and I believe it.... Look at Gene gls!!!!! A 20 horse 1997 that powers a 62 SD!!!!! That is why I love Walker!!! And I have always enjoyed your posts there Gene... Lot's of usefull walker stuff.... Is that 62 that you run belt or gear? And, have you seen the buffalo turbine keep a basketball in the air? Awesome stuff!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
I have heard that same statement as well and I believe it.... Look at Gene gls!!!!! A 20 horse 1997 that powers a 62 SD!!!!! That is why I love Walker!!! And I have always enjoyed your posts there Gene... Lot's of usefull walker stuff.... Is that 62 that you run belt or gear? And, have you seen the buffalo turbine keep a basketball in the air? Awesome stuff!
The 62" deck is belt driven. I'm on my 3rd belt sence 1998. Its in the shop now for a new belt tensioner. That's the only parts that I have had to replace, other than lots of blades.

Yes, I seen the basket ball trick at my dealer open house years ago.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
The 62" deck is belt driven. I'm on my 3rd belt sence 1998. Its in the shop now for a new belt tensioner. That's the only parts that I have had to replace, other than lots of blades.

Yes, I seen the basket ball trick at my dealer open house years ago.
That's impressive, my old boss used to have two 62" mt walkers. One was a diesel, other was a 23 hp gasser. The gasser was an amazing machine for hills. That thing would side hill like no ones business. I've actually tipped that mower over enough to throw me off. Luckily, because of how wide the deck was it didn't flip completely. I got away with that one. I will always remember that mower, quality at its best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is awesome!!! That's what is so funny to me when I see people on this site talking about how Walkers can't hold hills...???????????? I will someday learn how to post pics and everyone will be BLOWN away!! My MT26EFI with a 48 in deck not only straight climbs amazingly but horizontal and diagonal hill cuts sooooooooo goooood!!!!!!! You can really feel those hydros digging in... But I really want to grab a 62... There are always awesome deck deals on that Emmett Equipment website... Hey Gene, are you the guy that fabricated a hole in the hopper so it could be used as a power dumper? For mulch and topsoil?