Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

stihl 026 $30? worth it?

A neighbor is moving. Had a stihl 026. The chain looked loose. Put gas in it but it didn't start. Filter looked nasty but anyway is it worth a $30 gamble?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Yep, all day long. They are great little saws. If you can pick it up by the pull cord buy it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

What could go in making it run? New carb?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most common needs are new fuel lines and filter, plus a carb rebuild. For $30 you can't really go wrong, but it would be a good idea to check for compression and spark before putting a lot of money into it.
Trying to pick it up by the pull cord is a simple way to check compression - if you can pick it up without the pull cord unreeling, it probably has enough compression to run. Can also pull the muffler and look at the piston/cylinder for scoring. Pull the plug and ground it against the engine in a dark room and pull it over. You should see spark jump the spark plug gap.
If you don't want it, I'll take it for $30.
Use Tygon when you replace the fuel lines - it resists ethanol.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

He said it was always stored dry. I don't know much when it comes to a chainsaw. I was. Just thinking that a carb. Filter and lines were prob about 75. Saw 30. chain 30.... new is about $300 right?
Old 06-07-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it was really stored dry, that greatly lessens the chance that the carb/fuel lines are the problem. Try squirting a little shot of premix into the carb and see if it will fire. If it doesn't fire then, you probably have a bad coil. If it does fire with the shot of fuel you have a fuel delivery issue (Carb, fuel lines, filter, etc).
Stihl is very secretive about their part diagrams (IPLs) and they try their best to make you buy parts from their dealers at inflated prices, but parts like carbs, fuel lines and coils can be had much more cheaply on fleaBay.
Yes, that saw retails for $300 or so new. It is possible to put a lot of money into it in parts - I put $180 of parts into a MS250 - got the saw for $50 and ended up at $187.50 in parts before it was over. Runs great now, but I never suspected it would cost that much to get right.

Fuel lines and filter are pretty cheap Stihl molded fuel lines would probably cost about $15 for that saw on fleabay - might have to buy the filter separately, maybe another $7.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6rs97 View Post
He said it was always stored dry. I don't know much when it comes to a chainsaw. I was. Just thinking that a carb. Filter and lines were prob about 75. Saw 30. chain 30.... new is about $300 right?
New they are in the $500+ range. Buy it regardless. It probably won't take much more than proper fuel mix and maybe a little Sea-Foam to get going. My next door neighbor has the same exact saw and it had been sitting for about 10-11 years since it last ran. He likes to re-build tractor engines etc, but isn't alll that up on 2 stroke problems/trouble shooting so he asked me to look at it. I dumped his crap fuel mix, put in fresh, cleaned the plug and air filter and added Star Tron to the fuel. It fired up in a couple pulls and in less than 1 minute it was running like new again.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ridin Green is right about the new saw price. The 026 is a pro grade saw, which is closer to the current MS 261 that sells for over $500. The MS 250 I was referring to is a lower grade saw that sells for a little over $300.
If you get it running like new as easily as Ridin Green did you'll be very lucky, but at $30, you could replace the fuel lines, filter, carb, coil and oiler and still come out ahead.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

We will see. I grabbed it but have had no chance to look at it
Old 06-09-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Plug was nasty. Brushed it off. Tried to start. Plug is dry.