Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

warm season bermuda oklahoma

I'd like to know.more about a liquid fert program... is it possible for.me to have one and.not burn up lawns who have no irrigation? I'm def afraid at applying feet at same rates I apply.my herbicides at but I'd like to be able to apply at same time. Any advice on what I can use.or programs u like? First year in field with licenses and spraying commercially.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 04:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Short answer is you cannot or it will be hard to make things work. I do know that preemergents are ok when applied at 5-10 gallons per 1000. There is also 1 broadleaf herbicide that is mostly active through the soil and a sedge herbicide that needs to be watered in. BTW, 5-10 gallons is what I consider safe water volume for applying up to 1/2 lb of N to grass without watering it in. I routinely apply up to 1 lb of N in 1-2 gallons per 1000. But that is right ahead of an irrigation system that is running. As I am applying, each zone is running. Postage stamp lawns get the system activated before I roll up the hose. I apply a 100% liquid program because I am meeting needs not fulfilled by a blended granule fertilizer. If you are dealing with one type of grass on the same soil type, then liquids might not be worth the extra work.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-09-2013, 05:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you think.its prob easier for.me to stick with a liquid herbicide and granular fert program? Its all bermuda. Common that is... also basically all same.soil type...not much differences. 5-10 gallons is way way more than what i put down now... I'm under a gal oer 1000. So it may be possible to apply a pound at a time like u do on.customers that have irrigation but still then cannot be spraying herbicides. Post emergent that is...may just stick with what I'm doing already
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the fertilizer program works for you, don't change it. On the other hand, improving your spray equipment so that there is less drift but good coverage is worth doing. I am not charging customers by the application. They are paying for the year in monthly payments. Whatever needs to be done to keep the lawn green and without weeds gets done within the year. That normally means up to 12 fertilizer applications and 3 herbicide applications. Lawns are also reel cut, so big granules of slow release on the lawn do not work.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing here is reel cut. Literally nothing.... all mowed at 3"... but its all common not 419 or any other hybrids... so granuals isn't a problem... just consolidating equipment and always becoming.more lean as a business owner while still achieving the results I'm after.. name of the game ya know... was hoping a liquid fert program could be used but I've just gotta learn more about em...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, 3" is really high even for common. Is it not possible to keep it at 2.25" Probably not willing to pay for that frequency, huh?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In your situation I would stick to granular. I considered liquid but after experimenting I realized it was not the way to go in my case. I do go to the trouble of custom ordering my fert but I am dealing mainly with centipede & st aug. In the case of common bermuda you can probably find something suitable off the shelf.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anywhere in the 2s is no way possible... people here do not aerate nor can sell them.on it or top dressing so generally the lawns are not over smooth... you would mowing dirt if u dropped decks down that low.lol and... in our heat... and dry spells... 2-3" would all be burnt up... even people who irrigate would have hard time keeping it looking decent
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
Anywhere in the 2s is no way possible... people here do not aerate nor can sell them.on it or top dressing so generally the lawns are not over smooth... you would mowing dirt if u dropped decks down that low.lol and... in our heat... and dry spells... 2-3" would all be burnt up... even people who irrigate would have hard time keeping it looking decent
Posted via Mobile Device
Wood,

I'm in Oklahoma, and I mow at 2" or less all summer. My experience has been that common Bermuda does better during July and August at 2" than it does when cut higher.

I think that the real problem is that customers do not follow good irrigation practices. The lawns that get irrigation for 10 minutes a day are not going to survive the hot months, no matter what the mowing height. One inch of water once a week has been sufficient, except for the few weeks where it was 112 degrees every day.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm surprised you have found ground smooth enough for 2". That's my biggest obstacle. Its hard to sell client around on aerating and top dressing to level things out...
Posted via Mobile Device