Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what would you do?

about a month ago I did a spring cleanup and laid 40 yards of sod. he is happy with the cleanup and had a check for the cleanup ready for me he said. although he wants me to pick it up. but he refuses to pay for the sod. I haven't seen it but he says it is overwhelmed with weeds. iv paid a pro company to do a weed treatment and plan on pulling any weeds. I imagine its growing through the lines in the sod. I cannot see it growing through the sod.

he says its crap sod and wasn't installed correctly. well. its the best sod around in Michigan. I just laid it out over the top of what little weedy grass he had.

he says he wants me to just pick it up and haul it away. and not to pull a trailer over his ground cover. I'm not carrying it one at a time for one.

I'm willing to do weed treatments and wait till they work to see them work to get paid. but honestly I'm not willing to haul it away and waste my time. esspicially by hand 1 at a time.

whY would you do in this position?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

There should be no lines between sod for weeds to grow through. Sod should never be laid over existing grass or weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I havnt seen it yet so i don't know. but perhaps I will pull it up and till the ground. problem is he wants it removed. ill take him to court before I do that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what would you do?

I've laid sod before that had weeds in it. Get him to agree to let you treat it then get paid. And next time start with fresh ground.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
There should be no lines between sod for weeds to grow through. Sod should never be laid over existing grass or weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Correct. Ground should of been tilled & debris raked out. Looks like Birdseed screwed it up.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Weeds? Not likely. Its probably the grass going to seed. Drive by first without stopping for a quick looksee. Call the sod farm after that.
Better talk to a lawyer if this involves anything substantial in work or costs. Get lots of photos.
Do you have a written agreement? Did he agree to laying the sod over whatever was there to save on costs? Did you lay it correctly--seams tight? staggered seams? Laid on moist soil? Was it well watered? Did you tell him to water? Cut and fitted carefully around obstructions?

Was the sod weedy? Maybe you can convince the sod farm to remove and possibly replace it--you may have to sue them of course. Most likely weed is veronica; as a winter annual it should disappear about when the temp hits about 85--especially if you hit it with Speedzone. If you have a spray license. Why did you lay the sod if it was weedy? Most other weeds can be killed. How is it the best sod farm around--if their sod is weedy?
Hopefully you can save the sod, lay it out on your parking lot and resell the sod elsewhere.

Second most likely weed is poa annua--this is more serious; it would be a problem on a sports field--but--most home lawns do not have to be perfect--at least it is grass, (and you didn't guarantee it to be poa annua free--did you?) If its poa don't go to that sod farm again.
Crabgrass is a possibility--but in Michigan it is mostly less than an inch wide--not likely to push through sod. I tried that last year--no crab came through.
Quackgrass is a possibility--but if it came from his soil--its not a sod problem--but you should have killed it first, before laying the sod.
If the sod is going to seed--such seed is an indication of inexpensive seed at the sod farm. Premium varieties do not go to seed as much. In either case, its normal, and the seed stalks should be mowed off after three weeks and it should look fine. Sometimes it helps to mow short (it looks terrible) but then mow it a little taller next week. This means the taller grass will hide the now shorter seed stalks. The seed stalks or straws always turn brown and die--their function is over and done.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 06-09-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: add
Old 06-09-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

God you are your own worst enemy. Always prep before laying sod. Chemical kill, till, sodcutter or Harley rake to prep for sod. That's what you get for a drop and run job. Further why oh why did you not get paid before weeds started showing up. I get 50% down before I start and balance due when last piece is laid. You are killing yourself. What's 40 yards of sod, usually its referred to in square feet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 06-09-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I havnt seen it yet so i don't know. but perhaps I will pull it up and till the ground. problem is he wants it removed. ill take him to court before I do that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hope you have a signed contract.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
God you are your own worst enemy. Always prep before laying sod. Chemical kill, till, sodcutter or Harley rake to prep for sod. That's what you get for a drop and run job. Further why oh why did you not get paid before weeds started showing up. I get 50% down before I start and balance due when last piece is laid. You are killing yourself. What's 40 yards of sod, usually its referred to in square feet.
Posted via Mobile Device
I did tell myself i was going to start getting materials cost up front this year. guess i'm not being as strict on that one as i need to. although this is the only landscape i'v done this year from someone i did not know or trust.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Hope you have a signed contract.
Posted via Mobile Device
No. but i'm going to start printing up estimate sheets people can sign and i can write in the services even for quoting small things like this.