Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Weeds? Not likely. Its probably the grass going to seed. Drive by first without stopping for a quick looksee. Call the sod farm after that.
Better talk to a lawyer if this involves anything substantial in work or costs. Get lots of photos.
Do you have a written agreement? Did he agree to laying the sod over whatever was there to save on costs? Did you lay it correctly--seams tight? staggered seams? Laid on moist soil? Was it well watered? Did you tell him to water? Cut and fitted carefully around obstructions?

Was the sod weedy? Maybe you can convince the sod farm to remove and possibly replace it--you may have to sue them of course. Most likely weed is veronica; as a winter annual it should disappear about when the temp hits about 85--especially if you hit it with Speedzone. If you have a spray license. Why did you lay the sod if it was weedy? Most other weeds can be killed. How is it the best sod farm around--if their sod is weedy?
Hopefully you can save the sod, lay it out on your parking lot and resell the sod elsewhere.

Second most likely weed is poa annua--this is more serious; it would be a problem on a sports field--but--most home lawns do not have to be perfect--at least it is grass, (and you didn't guarantee it to be poa annua free--did you?) If its poa don't go to that sod farm again.
Crabgrass is a possibility--but in Michigan it is mostly less than an inch wide--not likely to push through sod. I tried that last year--no crab came through.
Quackgrass is a possibility--but if it came from his soil--its not a sod problem--but you should have killed it first, before laying the sod.
If the sod is going to seed--such seed is an indication of inexpensive seed at the sod farm. Premium varieties do not go to seed as much. In either case, its normal, and the seed stalks should be mowed off after three weeks and it should look fine. Sometimes it helps to mow short (it looks terrible) but then mow it a little taller next week. This means the taller grass will hide the now shorter seed stalks. The seed stalks or straws always turn brown and die--their function is over and done.
Not a big enough job to need a lawyer. only 300 bucks. 40 yards

The seams are tight

unfortunately. was not watered. his water was off. i'm thinking of trying to use a water tank and compressor to pump water up to places for things like this.

The sod itself is perfect KbG. i'v had great results every time i'v used or seen sod from this farm. is why i drive an hour to get it.

i think i'm going to stop over there today and take a look at it. need to go get some herbicide anyway.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I did tell myself i was going to start getting materials cost up front this year. guess i'm not being as strict on that one as i need to. although this is the only landscape i'v done this year from someone i did not know or trust.
You've really got to work on this. Make rules and stick to them. 40 or 40K , my best friend or my mother, everybody signs and pays. You know darned well the customers will hold your feet to the fire the same way. Those few hundred dollar losses have a way of adding up quick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see why he was upset. a lot of the grass had died off. this was due to my inability to water the grass. From now on I want to have a pressurized container of water that I can use to pump water into places. there was one type of weed growing. everything else has turneed into dirt under the grass. I told him that I will redo the whole job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I can see why he was upset. a lot of the grass had died off. this was due to my inability to water the grass. From now on I want to have a pressurized container of water that I can use to pump water into places. there was one type of weed growing. everything else has turneed into dirt under the grass. I told him that I will redo the whole job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why is it your responsibility to water a clients lawn?

When I put sod down, if they don't water it that is there problem. I'm not going to be held responsible for someone's new lawn dying off when they neglected It

Also, to water you can just have a tank that is gravity fed. Or a small diaphragm pump from Home Depot will work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, you are going to warranty a sod job that failed because the moron didn't water it? What did he expect? Another of my "rules", warranty on sod expires the minute I leave UNLESS, I and only I have complete control of the water and they are willing to pay for an "aftercare" package.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
So, you are going to warranty a sod job that failed because the moron didn't water it? What did he expect? Another of my "rules", warranty on sod expires the minute I leave UNLESS, I and only I have complete control of the water and they are willing to pay for an "aftercare" package.
How's it going Patriot?!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is going so good something is bound to blow up. I am leaving all my Silky and Felco tools to you since you are one of the few people that can appreciate them and will take care of them. Trying to help the young Bird here get his stuff together. Others are pretty rough on him , but I'm trying to be above that. Big rain front coming through again. Loving this wet stuff. Everything is all bright green and growing strong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well. i think it has to do with me not watering it when it was put down initially.

gravity fed wont work going up hill.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
It is going so good something is bound to blow up. I am leaving all my Silky and Felco tools to you since you are one of the few people that can appreciate them and will take care of them. Trying to help the young Bird here get his stuff together. Others are pretty rough on him , but I'm trying to be above that. Big rain front coming through again. Loving this wet stuff. Everything is all bright green and growing strong.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'v gotten alot of help on lawnsite and plow site. i appreciate it. online youll always have to weed through the guys who jsut want to argue to see the ones who give good advice. alot of very smart and experienced people here. i'v learned much.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

By the way. what is going to be the best way to till the ground. not sure it really needs it as the groudn is all just dirt accept that one weed that seems to be dang strong. but i want to avoid the turf being bumpy and uneven.