Register free!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

msma and bermuda

I'm fairly young and only started spraying for.myself as.msma was being pulled.off the market.. I never even used it just because we had.moved I had lost interest... now that this is my first year being licensed and what not I have read tons on here about the chemical.. what's all the big hype about it. Was it truly that good of a chemical? Since I'm not used to it or.old enough to know I've learned to work without it... was this chemical the golden egg for Bermuda? Grassy and broad leaf... cool and hot weather... ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

wood,
I used it for almost 10 years and it was the easiest and cheapest post emergent around for post crabgrass control. You could have overnight browning and curl. The hotter the daytime temps were, the better it worked. I also used it for burning out saplings in lawns. I used to mix either a pint per acre+ Vessel and have excellent burndown potential. Chase it with iron in your tank as a fertilizer to minimize the color burn on bermuda and zoysia.
We in Arkansas have until December of this year to completely eliminate our supply from our shops.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
wood,
I used it for almost 10 years and it was the easiest and cheapest post emergent around for post crabgrass control. You could have overnight browning and curl. The hotter the daytime temps were, the better it worked. I also used it for burning out saplings in lawns. I used to mix either a pint per acre+ Vessel and have excellent burndown potential. Chase it with iron in your tank as a fertilizer to minimize the color burn on bermuda and zoysia.
We in Arkansas have until December of this year to completely eliminate our supply from our shops.
....so what are you going to use for DG when your supply is exhausted???

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 06-10-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

MSMA won't be totally removed, it'll be labeled for commercial use..
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what is DG?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddee View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what is DG?
"DG" stands for Dallisgrass. Sorry, That's the acronym I/we used back in the old days. There is no "new" chemistry out there that will control it selectively.
....And just who/what gives you the idea that it will be labeled and sold for commercial use only? That sounds like RUP status to me(which in my opinion is the way they should have handled this situation from the beginning). That's the first I have heard anything of that sort. It would be great if it were true...

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddee View Post
MSMA won't be totally removed, it'll be labeled for commercial use..
The only turf uses that have been extended are golf course, sod farm, and highway right-of-way.

Commercial turf use (commercial properties like banks, restaurants, schools, industrial parks, apartment complexes, factories, etc) is NOT permitted under the label. Residential turf and athletic field use is also not permitted.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I guess I will go to Revolver. And stay with Drive8LR8 for CG. I hate DG but haven't ran across much in my lawns I treat and mow.
I don't treat lawns that we don't service weekly.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Then back it up in two or so weeks with Certainty.
Sorry, it has been a scorcher here today...........102 already after two months of 80 degree days. I am tired.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
I guess I will go to Revolver. And stay with Drive8LR8 for CG. I hate DG but haven't ran across much in my lawns I treat and mow.
I don't treat lawns that we don't service weekly.
I guess that's one way to work around the problem. Unfortunately, its a path I am not in the position to take. We do not mow/prune/landscape. We do strictly weed control and fertilization only. Each year, even after scrutinizing the list of new sales carefully and eliminating the lawns that I can dig or carefully spray glyphosate on, I still end up with 40-50 accounts that need Dallisgrass elimination with at least a partial broadcast application for grassy weeds(which includes DG).

I can tell you now, Revolver won't "cut the mustard"

There's going to be people choke when I tell them all I can do is dot their lawn with R-Up to remove the DG. I am already thinking of how I will present this on a flyer to be included with any estimates I do on lawns that are infested with DG starting in 2014.