Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

My Son is home from College Trick

How many of you have fell rampant of this trick? I've had two people cancel on me in the past 3 weeks, one was saying that her Dad bought her son a push mower and she will no longer need my service , and another stayin that his son was home from college and he will be cutting the lawn until August. I give it 1 month before they call me back but I'm not holding my breath. I'm seriously contemplating not taking them back as a customer when they call back. I do excellent work and treat each customer in a very friendly and professional manner. So when this happens its almost as they slap me in the face. I mean do they really think their son that's overweight and hair down to his butt that looks like he has a whole lot of quit in him can do a job as good as me? Sorry for the rant just really gets to me. On another note as soon as someone cancels I usually get a better paying job and nicer customer closer to my planned route to replace them with. So I guess the Big Man upstairs is looking out for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds familiar! Explain that they need more than a Murray push mower to do what you do. Your not just mowing.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you call it a trick? Kids don't cut grass anymore?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Yep just had that happen to me last week. Like you said I will give it a month.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

It's not a trick, I cut grass as a kid. But this guys kid couldn't find a job so he was helping his child out by employing him. I even told the guy that if I was in his sons shoes that I would knock on neighbors doors and get a few jobs within walking distance. Then the guy looks at me and says that his son was scared of hard work. That's why I can't wait until he walks outside in this humidity and is drenched just dragging the mower out of his shed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This happened to me my first year. Widow met through local church. Approached me to mow her lawn. Started April. End of May her grand daughter was home from college and was going to do her lawn.

I said great that you have such a nice GD. When she goes back to college if you need me to finish the season give me a call. That 's what happened.

Getting an I'll show you attitude I don not need your business would of lost me 8 more mows at $43 each time that fall.

Though back in April her curb and walks had not been edged in years and I brought them back in one shot.

Now her GD never edged and the lawns was overtaking the curb and walks. So when I took over the lawn again in September I nibbled a little each week to get the edging back into shape.

To me it's business not personal. That is why I made $344 of that customer that fall.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well said 32vid.... its business not personal
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah this is very true!!^^^^^^^ Sometimes I guess I let it go in the personal direction rather than handle it as just business.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 of the same. They provided me with pruning and mulch jobs and have no doubt at the end of August they will call back if not sooner. They are vacation homes and yes I will miss the extra $ for 2+ months. But I also think its good they are making their kids work a bit while they are home. If it was me I'd probably do the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I remember back in my poor er days struggling $ mowing yards. Had a big yard I did. Scheduled to do a clean up right before Christmas. Mostly heavy pine straw raking. I called client & she said she hired the neighbors teenager to do it because he wanted some Christmas $ to but gifts.

It was a slap in the face. I took it that way. Damn, I needed that $ to pay my bills, not buy gifts! Wish I'd of told her that then. I never worked for her again.

I run into this problem rarely now adays. OP should charge them more if called back because you know the kid didnt perform the services you regularly did, Edging, weedeating....
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair