Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2013, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got the same phone call this morning. Grandson needs money for a computer so he will be cutting starting in July. At least they have me a couple of weeks notice but still, makes you feel funny though. Even though its not personal I always take it personal. If they call back the price will go uo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Sponsor

When you get tired

We had that happen in the past as well. We started utilizing service agreements with a 30 cancellation required. That will at least get you paid for some of the extra time you spent on the yard in the spring getting them through the toughest part of the year. Then their son or whatever comes home and takes over during the easier time of the year. Yes it is hot, but the grass has slowed down considerably.

Implement a service agreement and you quickly eliminate the pretenders from the contenders.

Good luck.
"Where PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD"
How to bid mowing and landscaping jobs
Manuals & CDs Available to help you make your Business more PROFITABLE & PROFESSIONAL
800-845-0499
Louisville, KY
Since 1979
Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 30 days cancellation notices and the lady today gave me three weeks. Still sucks though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess sometimes I take it the wrong way. Most of the time I seperate my feelings from the business side to not take things personal. But it just erks me when they tell me before I fire up my equipment that they won't be needing me for a couple months. Especially since I'm part time but only mow on Saturday and I am usually run from sun up to sun down. I think I may just go up5-10 $ when I pick it back up. But on the good side its kinda nice looking a customer due to things not caused by my services because I always pick up two more accounts minimum when one cancels, so it always works itself out.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
We have 30 days cancellation notices and the lady today gave me three weeks. Still sucks though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cancellation notices are about as worthless as a contract for a residential customer.

Go to court for losing out on doing 4 mowings. Lawyer's fee, court costs, time lost. The customer does not wanted me I have now problem walking away. Same way I can't take that customer no more I am gone.

No reason to prolong the agony for anyone.

Last if 4 mowings are going to cause a business to go belly up that business has bigger problems then losing 4 mowings.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan's Lawn Services View Post
How many of you have fell rampant of this trick? I've had two people cancel on me in the past 3 weeks, one was saying that her Dad bought her son a push mower and she will no longer need my service , and another stayin that his son was home from college and he will be cutting the lawn until August. I give it 1 month before they call me back but I'm not holding my breath. I'm seriously contemplating not taking them back as a customer when they call back. I do excellent work and treat each customer in a very friendly and professional manner. So when this happens its almost as they slap me in the face. I mean do they really think their son that's overweight and hair down to his butt that looks like he has a whole lot of quit in him can do a job as good as me? Sorry for the rant just really gets to me. On another note as soon as someone cancels I usually get a better paying job and nicer customer closer to my planned route to replace them with. So I guess the Big Man upstairs is looking out for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
If they call you back wanting to resume service, tell them that your schedule is now full and to have a nice day!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderhoff Landscaping View Post
If they call you back wanting to resume service, tell them that your schedule is now full and to have a nice day!
Posted via Mobile Device
This is silly .... Why would you want to do this? What would be the point .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know you treat your customers right and it doesn't sound right in ways of pay back for how good you have always treated them but don't take it personal, ultimately to the customer we are like it is going to Walmart or should I go to Sears, you know, they just don't see things the way we do.

That's the beauty of having scheduling software, in my case it's a simple matter of copy-paste their information from the active section down to the Inactive portion and it's not just good as done but they're still in the computer so if they ever call back it's another simple matter of copying-and-pasting their information right back into the active lawn mowing section. As an added bonus comes the fact that rather than treating them like a piece of dirt when they call back, I act like I'm glad to hear back from them, it's like "Oh yeah Mrs. Smith how are you?!" Which, it's actually not even an act, in most cases I truly am glad to hear back from them.

You know yesterday I had a flat tire on my truck (yes for real) and I ended up at a Firestone I had not been to in like 20 years and I think the original reason why I had not went there in so long may have been a bit far from rosy but you know what, they still had me in their computer!
And that makes a world of difference in the long run in terms of customer retention.

Simple as that man, just have to learn to roll with it, believe me when it comes to stories I think I may have heard a few over the years, easier said than done some days but don't let it get to you.

Last edited by herler; 06-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lady call me 4 weeks ago for lawn maintenance for her parents because they are getting older and also have a cottage to look after as well.

So here I'm thinking, cool, just scored a really nice corner lot. Edging has never been done but I always include that with regular lawn maintenance for seasoned customers.

Well, she payed me upfront for 4 cuts and said we'll meet up again and I'll pay you for another 4 weeks. (She is paying for her parents)

Last week, I get an e-mail from her saying her son lost his job and she has offered him the opportunity to cut his grandparents lawn.

I say ok, family comes first sorry to hear about his job loss blah blah blah and just explain to her if her son can't perform the task for any reason for her to not hesitate to call me back.

I drive past this place as its on one of my daily routes, so I will know for sure if she is lying or not because her son will most likely be using his grandfathers mower with a deck height of about 1.5-2". If I see bails of hay across the lawn, I'll know he's cutting it.

He's just a young kid, so he probably won't last long in the heat especially when I cut it at 3.25"...he's gona hate the first cut next week.

Business as always...its not personal. It happens sometimes, but just try to be as professional as possible and sometimes you can win them back!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2013, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not understand why they give excuses in the first place. if they are not in a termed contract all they have to do is say i would like to cancel my service. thank you.

why with the lies and excuses?