Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

What should I do?

I recently purchased a 2010 John Deere LA115 I found on craigslist for $175 the guys said it had a hole in the block and was leaking oil. I figured it was still a good deal as everything else on the mower was in pristine condition. So I get the mower home pull the engine apart and it is pretty toast. One of the aluminum supports on the crank let go and sent the counterbalance into the side of the block. Anyway I thought about trying to repair this engine but I dont think it is worth it. I have found engines for $500 and I believe they are upgraded 21hp briggs from the 19.5hp it came with. The mower engine is a model 31 19.5hp briggs. A buddy of mine owns a small engine repair shop and said he recommended buying a shortblock for it. How much are those and where can they be found? I wanna use the cheapest route possible because if I spend all the money I might as well ran out and bought a running used one. Gotta make my work worth something. hahaha So what should I do?

Here is the mower in question:
http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-trac...ere-la115.html

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With the exact model and type numbers off your engine I can likely look up a shortblock.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I will get that this evening. Thanks. I hope the short-block is decently priced.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry restorob for taking so long to get back to you.

Model:31P877
Type: 0110 E1
Code: 051109ZE

Thanks for looking this up for me.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's the required shortblock; http://tewarehouse.com/697762

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Here's the required shortblock; http://tewarehouse.com/697762
Wow that shortblock is about as much as the whole engine with upgraded 21hp. What do you think about this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-and-S...item565767f62a Would you jump on it? It looks like it has been sitting outside for awhile and the filter is that a factory filter? as in the one that came on the engine? On new fords they are all white so you know if a vehicle has a filter on it from the factory I was curious about this one.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWK96GT View Post
Wow that shortblock is about as much as the whole engine with upgraded 21hp. What do you think about this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-and-S...item565767f62a Would you jump on it? It looks like it has been sitting outside for awhile and the filter is that a factory filter? as in the one that came on the engine? On new fords they are all white so you know if a vehicle has a filter on it from the factory I was curious about this one.

Thanks.
Don't even bother, its a rusted pile of crap...
Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cubcadet3235 View Post
Don't even bother, its a rusted pile of crap...

What he said ^^^^^^^^

Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWK96GT View Post

Thanks.
$520 and FREE shipping. http://www.equipatron.com/catalogsea...0-E1&x=17&y=15

......AMF!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So let me get this straight, you PAID these guys nearly $200 for the privilege of hauling away their garbage lawn mower, damn, that means I'm either in the wrong business or certainly on the wrong side of the counter! But now you want to spend more on first a rusted engine that you don't think looks so bad, look man, tell me one thing, you're using this mower for your own lawn, right?

Because if you are and it doesn't work out, you're out $700...
A bit of a gamble and I sure wouldn't want it to be my money, but I can kind of see doing that if only for the thrill of possibly winning.
Oddly enough I get the hint that money is a big issue here...

So if you're thinking of using this machine commercially, I don't mind saying I don't see this getting too far off the ground.

If the latter were the case I'd probably quit now, take it as a lesson learned, and start saving up in earnest for next year.
Otherwise it's just going to set you back another $500, rib poking aside I hope you can see where I'm coming from is all fun aside I am trying to help you, don't send more good money after bad, take your losses now and take what little you have left as a head start to get going next year while you put aside as much more as you can from now until then so at the least you'll have some cash capital to get going with...

Last edited by herler; 06-18-2013 at 11:40 PM.