Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Excessive rain, and delays

Man, this rain has got to stop--it's been raining frequently for 4 solid days. Get this.....I call my clients as a courtesy to inform them of the weather-related delays, and a third of them get irate. The other two thirds are fine and reasonable with me. Per the old saying, "no good deed goes unpunished".

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

In Oregon it will rain for about 100 days straight. We maintain in all weather conditions or, guess we would have to never do anything at all.

That said.. most of our "rain" comes in about .25 inch per day. Not lots, just enough to keep everything soaked.

So I realize that in the south it seems to rain inches per hour.

What quantity or how much of rain per hour/day causes you to call a rainday?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bid on a overgrown yard last Saturday and haven't be able to touch it yet. And next week doesn't look to good ether.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycrab View Post
In Oregon it will rain for about 100 days straight. We maintain in all weather conditions or, guess we would have to never do anything at all.

That said.. most of our "rain" comes in about .25 inch per day. Not lots, just enough to keep everything soaked.

Hours of solid rain or lately, it rains for 45 minutes, stops for 30, rains for 15 stops for 40, rains for 75 stops for 20. I'll mow when it's wet, but not when the rain is actively falling.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 07-07-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I hear you. Today I was finally about to get out and get some things mowed. I have not mowed all week. But I know exactly what you mean by the customers. I have had some messaging me asking if I was coming today and stuff and I am just like you are going to have to wait as my customers at the first of the week come first and they are all like well my yard is super overgrown. You would think they would be understanding as you cant quite do anything when it is pouring for 4 days straight. Normally we cant mow because the grass is too dry but never because the grass is too wet! It is middle of summer. Never seen anything like it.

I basically call it a rain day if I am leaving huge clumps everywhere and making a mess. It is just not worth the hassle of trying to clean it up and spending triple the time on it and it still looks bad.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycrab View Post

We are talking flooding rains every day. Over flowing creeks, ditches, rivers and lakes. Short breaks from the rain most days here. Poured about every 20 minutes on the 4th. One day we got close to 6" in 3 hours Drizzle days are rare. Usually we get heavy rains and it stays gone for days or weeks. This just keeps streaming up from the Gulf. Most every storm bring a inch or more of rain. Then there is the lightening in some of them
Old 07-07-2013, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I only stop for lightning. Yesterday I saw a tornado trying to form, considered stopping then too.
I put on the Gore-Tex suit 5 times yesterday. Then the sun would come out and it's too hot.
It's not like mowing in the rain in April when the temps are in the 30*'s.

Cleaning up after mowing in the rain is a whole lot easier than cleaning up after letting it get too tall. Plus it pays better too.

But I'm mowing bluegrass. Not Bahia, St. Augustine, Zoysia or some other weed you guys call grass.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:08 AM

Mainly we have Bermuda, Zoysia, Centipede, St Augustine and Crab grass. Bermuda, Zoysia and Crab grass will clump the worst when wet. Not much you can do to spread them out. Centipede is the easiest to make look good when wet. Sounds like my mower is going to burn up trying to cut the first three when wet. Of course the red clay tracks always add a nice touch
I hate Tall Fescue, Bermuda and Crab grass
Old 07-07-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

In the north east we can get a week where there is the threat of rain for 7 days though it will not rain us out 4 or 5 the way it does in other parts of the country. Rare to get a day that rains without stop from 8 am to 5 pm.

As long as it is not raining hard, lawn not going to get torn up, no lightning, will not leave visible clippings, I try to get my lawns done. I will not start a lawn in the rain though I will finish the lawn mowing depending where I am on it, on how much it is raining and the temperature. This year I just got done edging a lawn when a thunder storm started. Sat in my Jeep for half an hour till the rain stopped then mowed the lawn.

Though I do not call my customers to say I will not make it because of the weather. They are told at the time they hire me that when there is rain I may not get to your lawn on the scheduled day. I also may show up a day early if the weather forecast is bad for the scheduled day.

Never had a complaint.

The first one to complain will be told that:

We can not control the weather. As much as I want to follow the schedule all the time the weather makes it impossible. Having a schedule means you are not my only customer. Rain on Monday can effect the rest of the whole schedule.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Put on a rain jacket and get r done. So long as you are not making ruts in the lawn of course. If you wait on the weather to cooperate then nothing will ever get done. That is what you have to do when it rains for days.