Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-07-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Might be underbidding but not sure.

I seem to be getting 90 percent of the landscape jobs I give quotes on. There aren't a lot of people that do this type of work here just mowing and what not. I'll give a few numbers on some of the ones I've done this year. First one took right at seven hours for 350 with 25 dollars in fuel and dump fee. Just pruning and pulling weeds. The second one took 13-14 hours with 120 in materials and it was my friends mom $750. The couple coming up are 10 yards mulch or so for $65 a yard. This is the lowest I go but I can drive in the yard to spread and the beds are Very well maintain and edged. It's also not far from the mulch yard. The next I took a shot in the dark at 1600 for 10 yards or less with matting,edging and spraying weeds. It's a big job for me and I'm a little worried I'm too low. But I usually only get 20 percent or less on mowing quotes so 90 percents for landscaping probably means I'm low or the only guy that show up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Might be underbidding but not sure.

Seems very low compared to my area. To weed and spread 3 yards of mulch I get 350-400

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We would be out of business in a few days at those rates unless you are consistently billing 8-12 hours a day.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
Seems very low compared to my area. To weed and spread 3 yards of mulch I get 350-400
Does that include edging? I try to get a 100 a yard for everything unless it's over the top out of control. That is why the 10 yards for 1600 is that why. I'm a PT solo operation right now with the wife helping when she can. I would think most landscape companys are at 35-40 per man hour. So I need to be a little higher than since its just me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

we started the season at $40/mnhr for labor we got swamped with work, we went to $45/mnhr, it slowed a bit to a manageable level so we stayed there. Mulch jobs are bid as material x2 plus all labor involved, that way any prep work edging etc etc is covered.Of course you need to know YOUR cost of operating to be able to do this properly.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I price at $50 a man hour. I am a one man operation so I have a very low cost of operation, but being one man takes me longer to get big jobs done, so I charge a little more to make up for my lost time.
2005 Walker 48 inch 26 EFI
54" side discharge Walker deck
Exmark Metro 48" walk behind
Honda 21" commercial push
Stihl FS90 weed eater
Stihl FS110 weed eater
Stihl FC90 edger
Stihl HL90 Xtend reach hedge trimmer
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 blower
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl MS261 chainsaw
Old 06-09-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsroda View Post
I price at $50 a man hour. I am a one man operation so I have a very low cost of operation, but being one man takes me longer to get big jobs done, so I charge a little more to make up for my lost time.
How is there lost time?

Job with a crew of 2 does a job in 1 hour but bills 2 man hours. Because you work alone it takes you 2 hours and you bill 2 hours.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Excellent point 32!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heres how I look at it,

If you're getting every job, you're too low.

Its better for people to choose you to do the job because of your quality and reputation.... NOT the PRICE!
When you get to that point, they won't care what the price is.

Dont be afraid to bid jobs for more money... I do it all the time. Get Cocky!!!! Especially jobs i don't really care to have! Like most recently, i said it would be $2500 to install a Double wide Air conditioner (privacy) fence. The ones you get from lowes for 150 for the kit... The bad thing was I got the job.... At least its worth my while now!

Give people the opportunity to come back at you and say "You're high"
Its not all about the quantity!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsroda View Post
Your cost of operating is not determined by how big you are. You can have 100 people and still have a low cost of operating.