Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We wear $10 Champion athletic shirts, I imagine they're polyester of some sort. Very thin, light, breathable, cool, and they dry fast. They don't show the sweat as much. Ours are dark blue as per uniform, but even still, they're not hot at all.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bcg makes underwear like under armour except cheaper. They help wick away the sweat from your body. And helps u say cool. Like $10 at academy.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I postpone sweating until after work.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Its hard here and I can imagine all through the south with 100+ degree temps. I have the same problem. I usually wear carhartt pants and a long sleeve heavy cotton work shirt with my company logo. However, I always keep a "quote" shirt and shorts in my truck hanging next to my rain jack just incase I need to run into a QT and change... But its hard to stay presentable.

UA compression shorts make it easier one of my friends wears a UA compression shirt under his longsleeve and says it helps..tried it and just made it hotter for me. The other thing I can recommend. Is at Academy sports they sell a brand call Magellen (cheaper columbia) They have this polyester mix shorts that are super durable and lightweight and then like a columbia PFG fishing shirt...the whole outfit cost me $20 and with the UA compressions underneath thats the coolest I've been day in and day out..

other than that try and schedule quotes in the morning work at night and hope you can stay cool enough to not look like you hopped in a swamp and then started cutting their grass good luck brother
Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It was so humid yesterday, I was sweating like crazy. I could feel it running down my back. I bought some of those moisture wicking polos in kelly green from SOD uniforms this year. They are nice, keep me much cooler and don't show the sweat as much.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Old 06-12-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Folks love seeing us all hot and working up a good sweat. It reminds them why they hired us. It also makes them feel they are getting their moneys worth. lol
Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I sweat like a fat girl writing her first love letter. Even in a freezer I believe I could sweat if working hard.

Much of the work I do is heavy, dirty, or both. Always seems to be humid here, making it worse. Yesterday it was low 80s, bright sun, humid, and I spent the afternoon in long sleeves and a respirator. Awful.

I do not call on customers on a daily basis as I tend to stay 1-6 weeks on one job. Still, we all have standards. I always wear long pants, usually jeans, and boots. I go through 3-4 shirts a day. I prefer 100% cotton but my kids are trying to persuade me to wear more of the new micro-fibers. I am a slow convert I guess. Expensive to work in but I will try some of the suggestions in this thread - thanks!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all off the suggestions. I think I will try the micro fiber suggestions first. I had a customer come out today just as I was finishing up on the hot/sunny side of the house to see how things were going. Looked like I had gone for a swim. Most of my maintenance customers are elderly so are almost always popping out to chat. get more business that way but I look like hell sometimes. Maybe a kilt with shorts!
VO
Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Under Armor & Starter (from Wal-Mart) is athletic wear. Compression underwear that squeezes your muscles so you can get a little more out of them. Made to wear a couple of hours at a time.

Micro fiber is available in other styles. For fishing, hiking etc. I find them much more comfortable to wear all day.