Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Route Optimizing

Does anyone know of any sites (preferably FREE) that can optimize my entire lawn route for the whole week right now i use Findthebestroute.com which works well but i want something that can go past 20 addresses and split lawns up to multiple days/crews?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitylawnandlandscape View Post
Does anyone know of any sites (preferably FREE) that can optimize my entire lawn route for the whole week right now i use Findthebestroute.com which works well but i want something that can go past 20 addresses and split lawns up to multiple days/crews?
That would require quite an algorithm. I don't think anything exists that can do that well. Hell, I know guys that have been in the business for decades that don't do that well. What exactly is the boss doing if he doesn't decide who goes where to do what and when?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

well i figure there must be something somewhere how do fedex and those places do it there must be a better way findthebestroute.com does it just not as advanced
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't want to pay for a service to help you with this, just break out your route in to obvious chunks (North side of town, etc) and then run it through one of the freebie services or Google Maps, then put on your weekly calendar how you see fit.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

We use real green for our software but we still do it manually with only right turns . It depends on the revenue you want for the day but basically we can be in the same are 2 or 3 times in a week , we mow a lot so we have to modify for schedule requests , so if we break of one client of we usually try to add 1 or 2 more to get a good run
Old 06-13-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trackroad.com does exactly what you want to do. Prepare all of your customers addresses in a Excel sheet, import them to the website, add however many vehicles you have, set the number of hours per day the crews are to work, average speed, time per property, and click Build Route.

It's basically that easy. There are a few more steps, but it works VERY well and will divide your properties into daily routes and assign them to different trucks. It makes the most efficient route down to which streets to turn on. Very handy tool. It isn't free but it's very worth it.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a screen shot half-way through my week with all of the unselected properties already completed.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Brendon, you lose any yards due to the tornado?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only had one customer affected. We have 75 properties we maintain and a few had neighborhoods that got hit but only one customer got displaced. Their house wasn't destroyed but quite a bit of damage. We're still mowing it.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What is the need for the routing software I never understood what is so hard with making a rout by looking at a map and choosing what order to do things. Maybe its just me but I have as of today I'm thinking 194 accounts if I can do that with out routing software with ease what is it you have that makes you think you need the product.

One of the things that maps and routing software will not take into effect is what side of the road you might be required to park on. Some spots have very limited parking and as you do the rout you learn to adjust for problem areas. I have some homes that are close by but taking the shortest rout would require a 90 degree turn with a pole on the corner and a traffic light bunching cars up on the other street making a wide turn with a trailer impossible. It's knowledge like this that tends to be missing on just plain old gps directions. In other words it's preferable to have a human brain involved it's most often more efficient that way.

Tags
addresses , lawns , optimizer , route , system