Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
What is the need for the routing software I never understood what is so hard with making a rout by looking at a map and choosing what order to do things. Maybe its just me but I have as of today I'm thinking 194 accounts if I can do that with out routing software with ease what is it you have that makes you think you need the product.

One of the things that maps and routing software will not take into effect is what side of the road you might be required to park on. Some spots have very limited parking and as you do the rout you learn to adjust for problem areas. I have some homes that are close by but taking the shortest rout would require a 90 degree turn with a pole on the corner and a traffic light bunching cars up on the other street making a wide turn with a trailer impossible. It's knowledge like this that tends to be missing on just plain old gps directions. In other words it's preferable to have a human brain involved it's most often more efficient that way.
Agreed. Some properties are easier to acces at certain times. One neighborhood I do is nearly impossible to park in after 2:30 or on weekends. Some city neighborhoods are best serviced and left before noon. Also we have some properties that really are only suitable for our "A team". The other crew seems to butcher a few areas (ruts, torn turf etc.)

I have to admit the routing software has improved greatly in the last couple years. But managing where my crews are and when is a big part of my job. Maybe I have control issues, by I think being directly involved in these decisions is important to me. I can't imagine letting a laptop run that part of my business.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
addresses , lawns , optimizer , route , system