Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad quote

I been using my same stone vendor for years, great relationship with them. They recently went with an online pricing book for all there materials, its been a bit of a learning curve and somewhat hard to navigate. I recently bid a larger wall project and needed to call my vendor with some price info. Long story short I was quoted wrong and lost 1k on materials when I was supposed make 1k on materials. My client had already given the go ahead for the project before I got my bill.
I cant/wont come back at my client asking for the extra money. My vendor somewhat worked with me on the material giving me free delivery (30 pallets) but thats a far cry from 1k. Any suggestions how to go about this? I feel at very least the difference should be split. Also this was not a written quote, only verbally over the phone.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is your supplier acknowledging they made the mistake? For example did you know exactly which employee you talked to and that have you the wrong price, and he acknowledged it? If that's the case and they still say sorry we messed up but you still gotta pay, I wouldn't ever set foot back in there. If, on the other hand, they are saying they dot remember the error and you don't have an estimate on paper, that's a different story.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So what did the supplier quote wrong? Material quantity? Or price?

This is why many suppliers will not have anything to do with assisting with estimating material quantity.

We haven't done a Hardscape job since March. Stories about losing $1000 don't make me miss those law margins that accompany hardscapes.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It was a price error. I gave the quantity of material needed, normally I do all my pricing with a hard-copy of the contractor book they supplied each year for us. This particular product I couldnt find in the online book and called for pricing. They wouldnt own up to the bad information and eventually after some discussion I was offered free delivery. Im irritated but I dont think theres a lot I can do. What I think happened was the cost of the pins were not figured in even though over the phone I was told they were and they add up to $1,020
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had a new supplier hound me for my business. Finally I caved and gave them the quantity of wall block for a job and asked for a price. It seemed great so I took ti(had not worked with this product before). Turns out he cant read his own price sheet and quoted corner pieces by accident and it came out to DOUBLE. I did that wall for free (actually paid the homeowner) and swore to never use them again. They ended up giving me the block at cost to try and make up for it but I still ate $4/sf. Tried making up for it hauling in one load and got an overweight ticket. Worst job of my career.

That being said, if you have a good relationship with them, they should at least give you store credit for the difference considering you probably spend 10s of thousands with them every year. My go to guys will always hook me up if even a minor mistake was made.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

haha - this is why I need to market my super duper estimating and job costing system. It generates a price quote sheet that you can e-mail or fax to your supplier and it does 2 things: a) it acts as a material order sheet b) they must fill out the line item prices and email or fax back to you. This way there are no surprises.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

That sucks. I would lean on them pretty hard for making to make up the difference. I am guessing that they quoted you a price break for quantity and didn't honor it?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell you exactly what happened. The supplier's employee quoted what the supplier pays for the product
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a friend that went to work for the parts department at a well known DC area Toyota dealership. He quoted someone the wrong price for an expensive part. He explained to me how it happened, which made sense to me. But the dealership withheld the difference from my buddy's paycheck. That didn't go over too well with my buddy because it was their computer system that prompted him to underprice the part.

So what I'm saying is these things do and can happen. But the supplier should honor the quote they have you. And anything else beyond that is between the management and the employee that mis-quoted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I had a new supplier hound me for my business. Finally I caved and gave them the quantity of wall block for a job and asked for a price. It seemed great so I took ti(had not worked with this product before). Turns out he cant read his own price sheet and quoted corner pieces by accident and it came out to DOUBLE. I did that wall for free (actually paid the homeowner) and swore to never use them again. They ended up giving me the block at cost to try and make up for it but I still ate $4/sf. Tried making up for it hauling in one load and got an overweight ticket. Worst job of my career.

That being said, if you have a good relationship with them, they should at least give you store credit for the difference considering you probably spend 10s of thousands with them every year. My go to guys will always hook me up if even a minor mistake was made.
Question, it sounds like you do a lot of installs, so when you received what I can assume was an extremely low material cost quote, didn't the hair on the back of your neck tell you something, or did you think you hit the land of cheap block?